Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenniferBropez

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20190308_063452.jpg
Hello all. I just bottled an ale two weeks ago and what I am seeing on the bottom doesn't look like any yeast deposit I have ever seen while bottle conditioning. It looks more like growing, lined globular rather than the increasing layer of yeast dust I am use to. I fermented with Wyeast 1028 and added no yeast at bottling.

Here is a picture. Sorry but this is the best picture i could get.

Thank you,
Ben

That's a true piece of art!

Sorry, but it's impossible for me to decipher from your writeup or the picture what you're talking about.
Many infections cause a pellicle, so shine a light through the neck at beer level and check for one.

When in doubt on what's happening, crack one open, smell and taste it. Chances are, yeast is doing what it's doing best, leaving us with a yummy beverage.

That's a true piece of art!

Sorry, but it's impossible for me to decipher from your writeup or the picture what you're talking about.
Many infections cause a pellicle, so shine a light through the neck at beer level and check for one.

When in doubt on what's happening, crack one open, smell and taste it. Chances are, yeast is doing what it's doing best, leaving us with a yummy beverage.

Hey Lizard, thank you for the reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear and I understand the picture is low quality. That is the bottom of the beer bottle and that substance started as spots and spread and is continuing to spread. It just doesn't look like any yeast deposit I have ever had when bottle conditioning. I have always seen a uniform build up of yeast covering the bottom of the bottle in a gradual uniform layering. There is no pellicle and nothing growing on the sides of the bottle, in the neck, above the beer (head space) or in the beer.

Because I had never seen this on the bottom of my beer bottles I was just wondering if anyone else had ever seen yeast deposit in the bottom of the bottle like this.

I like your suggestion of cracking one open and I will do that this weekend.

Ben

Last edited:
Maybe the yeast and trub deposits are flaring back up again?

Truly, I've never looked at the bottom of bottles to spy on what's going on.

I would certainly open one and check. If the beer is still cloudy, yeast (and whatever trub got bottled along) is still in suspension, and the yeast may still be carbonating.

You did reach the expected final gravity or close to it, yes?

Latest posts

Back