Kraeusen at 11 Days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon batch of Bavarian Wit. Used WPL 400 Belgian yeast and OG was 1.050. At eleven days there is still a 1/2" +/- kraeusen that is light brown in color. Had to leave for a few days and at eight days it was still fermenting when I got back yesterday at ten days the bubbling had stopped. Temperature was held at 68 degrees F. This is my second batch of the Wit with an addition of two oz of dried bitter orange. This is my twelvth batch of beer and first time with this length of time for a kraeusen to exist. Should I wait for it to sink and clean up to bottle? Transfer to secondary for a few days to clean up? I normally bottle around the 16 to 18 day.

Should I wait for it to sink and clean up to bottle?

If by clean up, you mean clean up off flavors, then yes, wait. But if you just mean wait for the Krausen to fall, I wouldn't necessarily wait. If attenuation is finished and off flavors are absent, I'd package.

Transfer to secondary for a few days to clean up?

Again, clean up what?

Basically the yeast cleaning up the last of any off flavors. This is just strange to my because I have not had this happen to me. I was under the understanding that all kraeusen settle. The beer is still cloudy even for a wheat. Next Tuesday will be 14 days I will see how it progresses.
Thanks for your help.

I've had Chico yeast (1056 et al) create a freakin' krausen mattress that took almost two weeks to collapse, and higher wheat content seems to bring it on...

Cheers!

Back