Newtobrew any advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrewster707

Reaction score
I have a 250 gal ICB tank I added 300lbs of honey 1kg lalvin ec 11118 phosphate and starter nutrients it's rocking and Rollin so hard I had to use two moded vapor locks because it was blowing the water out I have a 26gal hillbilly stainless still about how much alcohol should I expect and what abv% could it end up at any tips tricks or advice would be appreciated thanks

I have a 250 gal ICB tank I added 300lbs of honey 1kg lalvin ec 11118 phosphate and starter nutrients it's rocking and Rollin so hard I had to use two moded vapor locks because it was blowing the water out I have a 26gal hillbilly stainless still about how much alcohol should I expect and what abv% could it end up at any tips tricks or advice would be appreciated thanks
IBC SORRY

I don’t own nor have ever been around a still, but I thought that the whole purpose of a still was to separate the alcohol from everything else, (if done correctly), and you choose your ABV by cutting it back with water. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Honey is about 95% fermentable sugars so if you provide proper temperature, pH and nutrients to optimize yeast activity, you can expect that it will mostly convert. Best way to measure sugar potential is specific gravity. What was your starting gravity? That said - ethanol and water form an azeotrope that is about 96% ethanol and 4% water so a fractional distillation will pull off ethanol at about that percentage until there is none left.

Last edited:
Back