Rib Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
I got a crazy question for you guys. I want to make a rib beer. What I mean is not a beer with ribs in it, but the perfect beer to marinate ribs in. What flavors would you require in such a beer? What style? Spiced? Oak?

Of course, I have my own ideas, but I want a different perspective from my own. And GO!

Schlenkerla Rauchbier... This is my Pecan-Smoked Altbier in a Schlenkerla glass.

Find this beer at your local favorite liquor store. Don't over use this on the meat. It's better to drink.

If you go get this. Grab several and a half gallon of pineapple juice. After you taste one Rauchbier, you might want to just soak them in pineapple juice. The acid of the juice tenderizes the meat. It makes it kinda like Hawaiian BBQ. Pineapple really goes good with pork. Nothing is better then smelling the wafts of smoke and cooking meat with a Rauchbier

Using apple juice spritz is good too. Menards sells a spritzer that snaps into a beer bottle. You can spray juice on ribs several times during the smoking. I used apple juice. Did a spritz every 15 minutes for 6 hours. They had a Smokey Candy Apple taste.
IMG_20190403_201150.jpeg
20181218_220324.jpeg
20181006_141103.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice everyone! I’m getting an overwhelming feeling that smoked malt should be present. My thoughts are coffee and oak should be there as well. I’m mostly a mead maker, so mesquite honey seems like a fine idea. Any other thoughts?

I'm not sure I'm truly able to use beer as a marinade. Especially if it's something I like to drink. I have used a hot chili beer that I couldn't drink more than one of for cooking. That would do the job if you like spicy.

This is not beer but works really fuggin good if you do spicy.

I have pureed a can of Chipotle's in Adobo. Then slathered country ribs with the puree and then double/triple wrapped them in foil. Then I'd bake them for 350 for 2 hours, then grilled them for browning for about 20-25 minutes. I'd flip them half way through this time and with a mop of BBQ sauce after the flip. This is great way to get smoke on ribs if you don't own a smoker.

If you like this idea these are the brands I like to use. Embassa are more smokey in my opinion.
ING-chipotle-chiles-in-adobo-sauce-thumb1x1.jpeg
chipotle-pepper-can.jpeg

Have you thought about letting some of it turn to malt vinegar? If you use vinegar in your marinades, it might be cool to use malt vinegar and beer from the same batch.
I really like this idea. I think beer as a marinade won't penetrate the meat like an acid would. However a highly acidic beer would be like a sour. ....

This beer has that balsamic vinegar taste.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchesse_de_Bourgogne

Last edited:
Have you thought about letting some of it turn to malt vinegar? If you use vinegar in your marinades, it might be cool to use malt vinegar and beer from the same batch.

This is a great idea and fairly easy to pull off. Thanks for this!

I would go with what pairs well with ribs already...IPA all the way

What flavors do you want to add to the ribs? That's what you should add to the beer.

The problem with making a beer to marinade one particular cut of meat is you either need to use the entire batch for that purpose or you end up with a lot of extra smoked, chili, oregano, cumin, pepper, molasses porter that you probably do not want to drink. Instead you could make a good base beer and then create multiple marinades out of it along with drinking it from time to time.

Back