yuzu!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuroshio-kun

Reaction score
yuzu is a great little japanese fruit - very aromatic, somewhere between a lemon and a mandarin. i am planning a yuzu ale and wondered if anyone has any advice for what quantities and at what stage to use it. am going to be using mainly the juice with a bit of the peel thrown in for good measure. plan is to chuck it into the secondary, using about a litre of juice in a 20 litre batch.

basic recipe is a light/wheat malt extract, a bit of crystal malt, with some nugget hops for bittering in the boil and some cascade for aroma and dry hopping... plus, of course, the yuzu... am hoping for a nice refreshing fruity summery golden ale, zesty and tangy and crisp but with the flavours in the background and not too over-powering (ie not a sickly sweet fruit beer).

anyone any thoughts on things like how much hops to use? am thinking the fruit flavours will clash with the bitterness if i use too much hops. any other tips/thoughts much appreciated.

cheers

Just my opinion, but you may want to consider adding more than the 1 liter of juice (maybe 2)
You may also want to reconsider dry hopping cascades in a fruit beer. You may lose the unique flavor of the fruit to the hops.
Generally fruit based beers limit the use of flavor and aroma hops to allow the fruit flavor to come out.
That said, the cascades are quite citrusy and may complement your particular fruit addition. Best of luck to you!

Back