America's Cup Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this you should. Big catamarans dueling at 40mph sailing above the water. Last time, (2013) NZ led 8 races to 1 before USA came back to win eight straight and keep the cup. Racing was scheduled to start today, fleet rounds first. Delayed due to weather. I will watch when I can.

I lost all interest in The America's cup years ago when most of the action was in the courts.. Then there was a great series of a 90 ft waterline monohull against a catamaran.....

The new catamarans are exciting and I will give it a look for a few minutes at a time but other than that.....

Thanks for the HU, I'll look for it. I had stopped following the AC circus years ago. Although the cats are exciting to watch, mostly because of their high speeds, I prefer AC monohull racing as it was before the cats (and indeed, courts) took over.

I did a lot of (IOR) racing back in the days, then watching the 12 meter class was always a joy and such a great example of ultimate strategy, crewing, and boat handling, since they were so close in design.

I agree that tactics have changed since the 12 meters, and I miss that stuff. Speed kills, it always did, but in the past a slower boat could still win if sailed better. The new boats use tactics differently, though forcing a foul, or splitting tacks are still significant.
As a traditional boat sailor, I have nothing in common with these boats except water. The high tech carbon fiber cats are as different from my wooden ketch as modern Indy cars from a Model A. But they look like Star Trek and are really fun to watch.

2013 is called The Greatest Comeback in Sports History.

The Patriots might argue that... but yes, I agree, a couple races penalty and they come back straight set to win the Cup, and those big cats were something else... though the 100' Trimaran in '09 was insane. Watching that thing flying 2 hulls?

I'll be following the series this time around. Don't know if I can watch it, either live or delay, but I have the app on my phone, and I follow the facebook page.
Having seen the Extreme sailing series - run on 35' cats a few years ago in Boston, the sailing is pretty intense. Adding in the foils amps it up a few degrees. Watching them go is amazing.

Watched today’s races, very enjoyable. Had to catch up on the current technology. I bet the other crews are jealous of the cyclists on the NZ boat.

Here's a hydrofoil designed by Alexander Graham Bell:

300px-Bell_HD-4.jpg

If you haven't seen this you should. Big catamarans dueling at 40mph sailing above the water. Last time, (2013) NZ led 8 races to 1 before USA came back to win eight straight and keep the cup. Racing was scheduled to start today, fleet rounds first. Delayed due to weather. I will watch when I can.

What network shows it in the US now?

I've watched in the past and wouldn't mind seeing how it has evolved.

40 to 50 knts SOG is crazy. I have done 15 knts SOG flying a kite offshore in the middle of the night and that was crazy fast feeling, know at any minute you could broach with a slight wind shift, with these boats one wrong move and you are pitch poling at highway speeds, it must be a big rush riding on one.. I have sailed and flown to Bermuda and it nice seeing my favorite place on TV :mug:

Thanks. I was able to catch some of the action today.

It is amazing how much faster they are then the single hull boats of the past.

The on board cameras really give you a feel of how they are moving.

Shouldn't they all be pedaling, or did someone just now think of it?

I read that many teams are looking at it but the Kiwis are the first to try it. It makes a lotta sense.

It's pretty funny how the cyclist in front rests his head on the hull. He looks miserable.

When do the finals start? Or did I already miss the beginning of them? I just checked NBCSports and I don't see it on the schedule this morning.

Looks like the first race of the Finals is this Saturday at 1 PM Eastern. https://www.americascup.com/en/event-schedule.html

Just saw the thread - glad someone started it. I grew up on a 30' S2 as my parents were very much into boating and sailed throughout Lake Michigan. One day we were filling up with fuel at the harbor when a drunk power-boater was steering his boat into the fuel dock. He left the wheel and hit our boat right there in the harbor. There was a lot of damage, and that was sort of the end of it for my parents so they repaired and sold the boat and got out of sailing.

Now that I'm older, I'd love to get into it and I love watching the America's Cup. Someday I'll get a little sailboat to run around Lake Michigan on.

I saw the race yesterday. Dang NZ was kicking butt. I have not seen today's race, it is on DVR. I do get jealous of them in Bermuda. I have been a couple of times and it is one of my favorite places on earth.

As an oldster from the Newport glory days I found myself watching the Star Trek version of the AC challenge.
Cool to watch, I guess...

As an oldster from the Newport glory days I found myself watching the Star Trek version of the AC challenge.
Cool to watch, I guess...

Search Youtube for the monohull racing. I watched race 7 of the 2007 Cup and it was good. A lot of using the right of way rules to **** on your competition. Not so much about speed but more of chess game on water.

Pretty quiet in here...

It is not popular in the USA like it is elsewhere, regardless of results. You might have pockets of interest, particularly on the coasts or on the great lakes region. In CO or HI, people will have no clue what you are talking about. I had a math professor in college (UMich) who was a kiwi and was addicted to it. He would post results and such on his door. A cousin of mine is into it, but he also races in the CYC Chicago to Mackinac on a 65' LOA hull as a crew member.

Well that's a good start. 2-0 to us, which somehow is only 1-0.

Who wrote the rules again?

Last time Oracle was penalized two races, for something that happened on a different boat in a different regatta. I think that this time the point was carried over from the round robins. I also think the rules committee is international.
Emirates has the faster boat so far, and is sailing better. I hope for more competitive racing, no matter who wins.

Yep seems like we have been here before. Its always good to see the kiwis stick it to Oracle, hopefully they can finish the job.
TBH though I kinda lost interest with all the self serving rule changes and general controversy.

Watched the finals today - first time watching competitive sailing. Dumb question... what is the purpose of the cranking/pedaling?

Watched the finals today - first time watching competitive sailing. Dumb question... what is the purpose of the cranking/pedaling?

The controls, especially the use of the foils is hydraulically controlled. They are pressurizing the hydraulic fluid. The hydraulic energy is stored in accumulators. Kind of like charging a battery.

The US was dominated. They didn't have as good a boat, and made the most errors. When they were faster they could not use the speed to their advantage.

I couldn't watch any of it live, but from the highlights and articles I read it sounds like they just dominated the whole series.

I would really like to see both teams given the same exact boat to race, so it would be less about engineering and more about sailing. I sort of thought the same thing after the last Cup a few years back - clearly the US did some hard core tweaking to their boat after being beaten so many times to come back and make the run they did at it. After seeing that, which was awesome no doubt, it just made me wish that such a premier race like this was won on the boat itself rather than in the design/engineering room.

I couldn't watch any of it live, but from the highlights and articles I read it sounds like they just dominated the whole series.

I would really like to see both teams given the same exact boat to race, so it would be less about engineering and more about sailing. I sort of thought the same thing after the last Cup a few years back - clearly the US did some hard core tweaking to their boat after being beaten so many times to come back and make the run they did at it. After seeing that, which was awesome no doubt, it just made me wish that such a premier race like this was won on the boat itself rather than in the design/engineering room.

Olson 30 or Melges 24. Plenty of them out there cheap enough even HBT.com could put a team together! :ban:

I love the evolution that led to the AC75 "flying boat" competition class design. Everyone loves speed, and these crazy hydrofoil designs provide plenty of that (did I read 50kph is within reach?)

Short of wind shifts I don't think it's unusual for the first leg leader to keep the advantage. It's pretty much a thing - it just resolves quicker now :D

Cheers!

Back