Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturallight16oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been 40 hours and no sign of fermentation, is it safe to say the yeast are dead? at 24 hours i checked gravity, no change so i shook up the carboy and 16 hours later nothing. also should i order another pack of yeast or has it been too long already?

If the smack pack showed signs of swelling your yeast is not dead. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show any signs

Check out this thread.

If you have ordered more yeast and there are no signs of fermentation in a week you'll be fine to repitch. Sounds like you have a sound fermentation chamber. Smell and taste it before you repitch it.

It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Back