Carbonation Problems - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmeaser

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a great experience brewing kombucha -- right now, I have two 2-gallon containers with excellent SCOBYs working hard! But a few weeks ago, I decided to clean my containers and clean my SCOBYs. I washed the SCOBYs under water and kind of cleaned some of the bits off the sides of them. I put the cleaned SCOBYs back in the clean vats and added a new round of sweet tea. But after bottling, my kombucha has no bubbles. The tea tastes great -- it's fermented just right. But no carbonation at all. I brewed another batch, and still no carbonation. And another -- no carbonation.
Anybody have any idea? I mean, it started when I cleaned the SCOBY and the container. Any idea how to bring the bubbles back??? Thank you!

Just try to carbonate it longer. Washing SCOBY might have messed with the yeasts population, thus it takes longer to carbonate

Scoby actually refers to the organisms in the starter solution and not the biofilm that forms on top. Yes everyone thinks the 'blob' is the scoby and yes it contains the microbes to make your tea turn into kombucha, but if you didn't use any starter tea (about 20% already finished booch) you may not have enough healthy yeast to carbonate.

Back