Chest Freezer Damage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Purchased a small chest freezer for only cold crashing from Target because it was free shipping. It arrived a little heat up thanks to UPS and I'm worried about the coils having been hit by the dents. Should I be worried or is it likely okay? They offered USPS pickup and replacement but that takes time and I need to use it now. They also offered a 10% credit.

Thoughts?

Front

View attachment IMG_2726.jpg

Back

View attachment IMG_2729.jpg

Front

View attachment IMG_2728.jpg

Purchased a small chest freezer for only cold crashing from Target because it was free shipping. It arrived a little heat up thanks to UPS and I'm worried about the coils having been hit by the dents. Should I be worried or is it likely okay? They offered USPS pickup and replacement but that takes time and I need to use it now. They also offered a 10% credit.

Thoughts?

Front

View attachment 416984

Back

View attachment 416985

Front

View attachment 416986
How was it shipped? was it tipped on end at all? if so its a very bad idea to plug it in for at least 12 hrs.. suprised no one else is mentioning this?

If it was tipped as with any cooling device with a compressor (like a window ac unit) and you plug it in theres a very good chance you will burn up the compressor if not damage it by running it without giving the lubricant a chance to drain back into the compressor base where it needs to be.

If it cools it’s fine, only the looks that’s hurt. New compressors are much less sensitive to the old “stand upright for 4 hrs” rule as they are designed differently.

It arrived upside down in the box thanks to UPS but I let it sit over 24 hours and decided to plug it in a while ago. It fired up fine and cooled down very fast. There weren't any warm spots and the entire inside frosted nice and fast.

I talked to target again and they offered to have it picked up and replaced or give me a 20% credit.

I've decided to take the credit because it is only the looks and I need to start using it tomorrow. I only paid $139 plus tax for it anyways while it was on sale.

I'll go ahead and call this one a score instead of a bust.

If a line was punctured, pinched, or damaged enough to cause a leak, you would also know by the oil that would be leaking from it. If you don't see an oil stain somewhere, your probably OK. From what I see, you should be fine.

If it cools it’s fine, only the looks that’s hurt. New compressors are much less sensitive to the old “stand upright for 4 hrs” rule as they are designed differently.

This is the first I've heard of this? I know there are now larger commercial oiless compressors now but this isnt one of them. The new fridge I helped a friend move 3 years ago said in the manual that even if it was tipped for only a matter of minutes it should be left upright for 24hrs prior to plugging in!

About 2 months ago I was checking out waiting inline at a store and a lady was returning the second indoor AC unit in a row that day stating they didnt work when she got home... They made her test the third one at the register to make sure it worked and then a few minutes later I saw her lying it down in her back seat as she was leaving.. I mentioned to her they are supposed to sit for a minimum of 4 hrs when they are tipped like that and she had no clue.. Pretty good chance thats why the other two "didnt work"..

This is the first I've heard of this? I know there are now larger commercial oiless compressors now but this isnt one of them. The new fridge I helped a friend move 3 years ago said in the manual that even if it was tipped for only a matter of minutes it should be left upright for 24hrs prior to plugging in!

About 2 months ago I was checking out waiting inline at a store and a lady was returning the second indoor AC unit in a row that day stating they didnt work when she got home... They made her test the third one at the register to make sure it worked and then a few minutes later I saw her lying it down in her back seat as she was leaving.. I mentioned to her they are supposed to sit for a minimum of 4 hrs when they are tipped like that and she had no clue.. Pretty good chance thats why the other two "didnt work"..

There is a good chance I suppose, there isn’t many standardized things. But new designs are more like a 2 stroke motor with what oil there is apart of the coolant. More likely those failures were from the wicked cheap manufacturing standards. No new ones are made to last like the old school stuff. New stuff maybe 6 years life in the small ones?

There is a good chance I suppose, there isn’t many standardized things. But new designs are more like a 2 stroke motor with what oil there is apart of the coolant. More likely those failures were from the wicked cheap manufacturing standards. No new ones are made to last like the old school stuff. New stuff maybe 6 years life in the small ones?
:off:
That I do believe.. electrolux seems to make like 85% of all appliances these days and the new fridges are garbage.. I have a $2,500 LG fridge I bought used at 3 years old for $250.. total piece of crap nothing but issues with ice maker and fans and a google search shows its a common problem on a bunch of electrolux made fridges.
Now that they use an environmentally safe substitute for the freon they can make them total throw away garbage without anyone saying anything... same goes for new mercury free led tvs vs the old CCFL backlite models.. leds tvs are total garbage with a 3,000hr lifespan in many cases..

Back