Expert beer maker - never made cheese - yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
please give some basic advice in plain english - to make a cheddar style.

A bit of googling said unpasteurised milk - add culture - hold at 30 deg C - (for how long???)
cool to room temp - add rennet - allow curds to form - cut into cubes - drain off liquid - add to water at 39 deg C - (for how long) - remove - cool - leave (for how long?) - add salt (how much?) - put into a mould - press overnight - wrap in muslin cloth - store in an insulated container with moist atmosphere.

Am I anywhere near ?

many thanks

please give some basic advice in plain english - to make a cheddar style.

A bit of googling said unpasteurised milk - add culture - hold at 30 deg C - (for how long???)
cool to room temp - add rennet - allow curds to form - cut into cubes - drain off liquid - add to water at 39 deg C - (for how long) - remove - cool - leave (for how long?) - add salt (how much?) - put into a mould - press overnight - wrap in muslin cloth - store in an insulated container with moist atmosphere.

Am I anywhere near ?

many thanks

I'm almost as green as you are......... I've got one whole batch of feta behind me ........... and lots of ideas.

I think the best place to start is by watching some Utube videos. You can also Google "making cheddar cheese", and find a number of sites that give detailed recipes and instructions. Cheddar is a pressed cheese, and you will need a cheese press or some other method for pressing it. It seems that at least 24 hours is required, and the process involves multiple pressings, rotating the cheese between pressings. Here is one of many URLs on how to make cheddar:
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/23-Cheddar.html

H.W.

I would recommend getting some well-received books on cheese making. Cheddar cheese uses a particular style of removing whey - called cheddaring (go figure) and while it is not complicated, it does involve a fair bit of work. But I guess if you are a brewer and used to brew days of 5 or 6 hours then Cheddaring may not be a big deal - except that you need to be actively engaged with some cheeses more than others...
Cheddar would not be the first cheese I would attempt (nor would Mozarella, despite the enormous number of self-published videos on Youtube. Unless of the curds are between a pH of 5.2 and 4.8 it won't stretch and if you are too aggressive with the curds it takes on a rough texture. Not pleasant. But the videos ignore those issues).
You might try Feta (It does not need to be goat milk. Aging can be three days) or curd cheese (this is a fresh cheese so needs no aging).

Back