Fix Kegorator or Move On????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Within a week of starting brewing, I bought a used Beverage Air commercial kegorator (DD58). It is rather old. When I picked it up it worked great but needed a little TLC. After a lot of cleaning and gaskets and a coat of paint, it moved into the spare bed room. I replaced the 4 taps with Perlicks and ran new line to get ready for my pipeline. Awesome plan right!!!

Well I get home Sunday and there is water everywhere and the box is warm. :mad: From the reading I have done and the testing of the relay/capacitor it would appear that the compressor is shot. I have dug around and found a new R12 compressor/capacitor/relay for $70 shipped. I am concerned that no one will want to touch it since it is R12. I can get an R134 replacement compressor for about 3 times that.

At this point, I am debating on :
1- Invest in a new compressor and have it fixed via R12

2- Invest in a new compressor and have it fixed via R134

3 - Cut my losses, pull off the new parts, and sell it for what little scratch I can get for it....

If I had a way of disposing of the compressed R12 I would install it myself and have someone fill it but I don't have the equipment.... Thoughts/ideas???

I posted an add on CL looking for someone to work on it and they said they would replace it for $125 if I have the parts... Sound plausible?

I would get it fixed. Sounds like a pretty nice unit already with a lot lower cost to get it fixed than to get a new one.

Where did the water come from? If it's leaking refrigerant you'll want to ventilate your house well, especially the lower areas of your house as it'll sink below air.

It was from condensation. I panicked but realized I never put a catch bottle in it for the drip tray so it was dripping and eventually ran out of the door. Luckily I was smart enough to put one of those outdoor rubber mats under it before I put it in my new house.... I am leaning towards fixing it. I already have two temp controllers and partitioned the box so I can lager in one end. It's a sweet setup but retail to get it fixed is $$$$. If the guy I am talking to now gives me the go ahead, I will order a new compressor...

I agree you should fix it, my buddy picked up a 3 keg Beverage Air DD58-1 unit for $150 and we started going through it, resiliconed the seams, straightened some dents and dings, ordered new door seals and the fan/evaporator housing inside the kegerator, we replaced the compressor, installed charging ports, installed new hoses etc. etc, he has $550-650 invested including the purchase price, but now has a sweet perlick equipped 4 tap system that holds 9 cornies and a 20lb CO2 tank. I helped do a lot of the work so I get 3 spots in it that I use for in-keg lagering. :D

If you decide to let it go, PM me, I might buy it off you and get it shipped out to AZ.

Well I just picked up a new compressor for $50 shipped to my door. Hooray for best offer on eBay and a little brew to lower inhibitions! I intend on fixing it once I can find someone to do so. If the guy I have been talking to comes through at $125 then I am set.

azscoob, I am on about the same level as your friend. It has been gone through and fixed other than the compressor so as long as the condensor and coils hold out, I am set. I will keep you all posted :D

relays are mad cheep. google how to replace the relay, then try it yourself.
if it is the compressor then your not gonna hurt anything by replacing the relay, id say its worth a shot to try yourself.

relays are mad cheep. google how to replace the relay, then try it yourself.
if it is the compressor then your not gonna hurt anything by replacing the relay, id say its worth a shot to try yourself.

I busted out the multi meter yesterday and it looks like the relays are working correctly. They seem to be throwing fine but it could still be the capacitor. I figure if I replace it all then I am not hurting anything since I bought the compressor with the relay and capacitor for not much more than the relay and capacitor. So in essence I am paying the same amount but having the added cost of the installation of the compressor. :fro:

im not a huge fan of messing with refrigerant systems, maybe try everything else first, and save the compressor as a spare part unless nothing else does it.
a quick glance at the price of a new keg-orator will quickly help you to decide that repairing this one is a decent idea.

I agree with that other than I have new faucets and the ability to build a keezer, so the price of fixing a kegorator is hard to justify when 2 new freezers cost much less than the $1K price I was quoted to change out the compressor..... I have purchase the compressor so worst case is I lose that extra $50 as well but best case I get it installed for under $200 and still have less than $600 in the whole thing including the Perlicks and hose.

Back