Have we reached peak beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think in craft these days you really have to follow the trends, not over leverage yourself and be on the forefront of your area to survive. The craft beer drinker has changed and its no longer about brew pub style beers like a simple pale ale, hefe & solid golden ale.

I've read that wine-influence beers and blends are coming up quickly. If you are a commercial brewer you better hop to it or you will get left behind. These small tap room brewers are super nimble and can jump on a trend quickly. Its not for me, but I'm not the craft beer customer of 2019.

You even see the big boys like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada making these moves - they are not stupid and are putting out Brut IPAs, NE Hazeboys Beers and the like to stay current. I'm afraid if you are not willing to go that route than you should honestly close up shop.

Bridgeport IPA was my go to, 15 years ago. The only IPAs I could even find here in mid-TN at that time were Stone Ruination, Harpoon, and Bridgeport. Have not seen one in years. Sure is a shame, I remember it fondly.

Yes. It is approaching critical mass and will plateau. This is common in any industry or retail sector. There are only so many consumers, with a determinate amount of spendable dollar, in any given area.

Beyond that, a business has to diversify with the trends. In brewing, during the current fad and phase, the only way make money is grossly over-hop the hell out of everything. If you plan on making only or mostly high quality and to-style beers, you will fall flat on your face.

The typical status quo beer drinker is not going to pay $8 per pint for a very good pale ale or kolsch. They will buy a 6 pack of bud lite or coors light for the same price and say "it's the same thing". There is only a small sector of the population that brews or even understands the difference between good and bad, and typically a home brewer that has enough batches under his belt to kick out some great beer, won't patronize a brew pub as much as billy-bob-the-hipster that can't even make ice or oatmeal at home.

Saw today that Bridgeport Brewing in Portland is going out of business. It was one of the oldest craft breweries in Oregon, Widmer closed its tap room a few weeks ago and Burnside Brewing in closed up last week. It is a shame as both Bridgeport and Burnside made some really good beers.

https://expo.oregonlive.com/life-an...-will-close-brewery-pub-cease-operations.html

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2019/2/12/oregons-oldest-brewery-bridgeport-has-closed

Restaurant chains come and go, yet eating out is still an option. The same could be said for craft breweries.

As a fall-back, learn to cook (and brew ;)) at home.

The typical status quo beer drinker is not going to pay $8 per pint for a very good pale ale or kolsch. They will buy a 6 pack of bud lite or coors light for the same price and say "it's the same thing". There is only a small sector of the population that brews or even understands the difference between good and bad, and typically a home brewer that has enough batches under his belt to kick out some great beer, won't patronize a brew pub as much as billy-bob-the-hipster that can't even make ice or oatmeal at home.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I know I don't go out to many brew pubs. There is a tap room up the road from me I will go to a couple times a month with a couple co workers and they have a good rotation of beer or I will hit my LHBS as they have a tap room as well but most of the beer I drink is my own. We did hit a few local breweries in Hillsboro Oregon a couple weekends ago. All were just small hole in the wall places that had good beer but nothing fancy in the way of decor or location so it does not take too much beer to make a profit unlike Bridgeport who did a remodel last year and I am sure it was not cheap given the area of Portland it is in.

Latest posts

Back