Help with Mashing with New Rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dordelli

Reaction score
Ok so have just rebuilt my system incorporating a 25 gal Concord pot with a false bottom as MLT with a Rims tube and a control panel. I plan to use to make 10 & 15 gal batches and batch sparge. The problem with 10g batches is that my MLT is so wide that in combo with my FB, on my first batch I discovered that the calculated strike water level was not high enough to cover the grain bed! I know I could increase strike water but might not end up with enough sparge water to sparge.

I have two options it seems, I could move to no sparge brewing on my 10g batches. Anyone doing this now and what are your results, do I need to increase grain by 20% to hit intended OG? Does it change your beer flavor profile?

2nd option is to change out my FB for a bazooka tube, my results using this in my cooler seemed fine except in the new MLT, the tube only extends about 1/2 the width of the pot (does this matter) and I will add about 2g of dead space below it. My current setup has a dip tube and leaves less the 1g behind in the MLT.

Latest posts

Back