Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcblanton77

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have an infection. Has a very acidic smell

image-3838096791.jpg

That looks like a health fermentation near high karousen. There is quite a bit of CO2 in the air at that stage which could be interoperated as acidic. I would let it finish up and then taste it. How long and what temperature has it been fermenting at?

If you smell and you feel like your nose will bleed: krausen. Looks like happy fermentation to me

That looks perfect to me, lots of Co2 off gassing, if you stick your head in there and take a big whiff you're sure to pass out!

WoodlandBrew said:
That looks like a health fermentation near high karousen. There is quite a bit of CO2 in the air at that stage which could be interoperated as acidic. I would let it finish up and then taste it. How long and what temperature has it been fermenting at?

Fermenting for seven days, so it's pretty much done (no more bubbles in the airlock). About to dry hop in secondary. I'll stick with it and see how it turns out. Was just worried because I brewed the exact same recipe a couple months back and it didn't have that big white head of foam and I don't remember it smelling like that.

Hmmm. If the temperature is colder for this brew than the last it could explain the extended time line. Are you using the same yeast, and what strain? You'll probably be fine just riding it out, but I would expect more yeast to have fallen by day seven.

+1 looks fine.

Once you think you have finished fermentation, I would recommend leaving it for an additional week before racking to secondary (those yeast cells are still working developing flavors and cleaning up the beer. It will help make better beer.

Latest posts

Back