Lab grade 50L kegs. Possible reuse for homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Browsing for kegs online, I stumbled on these Rutten Bolz 50L 316-Stainless Steel Formulation Pressure Vessel Tank Barrel also on their ebay site Rutten Bolz 50L 316-Stainless Steel Formulation Pressure Vessel Tank Barrel | eBay

Appears to be a 316 SS 50 L "keg" that was used for who knows what. The lid opening looks like a DN150 (~6") that you could probably find a threaded cap for (maybe stainless to hold pressure).

The price seems like they're really trying to get rid of them. Perhaps a cheaper option to something like a kegmenter for someone willing to fiddle with a cap configuration after a deeeeeep cleaning. A DIN 150 to tri clamp adapter seems like the way to go. For a non pressure application, perhaps the 6" threaded caps for IBC containers would work 6" Polypropylene Fill Caps for IBC's and Tote's Seems cheap enough for anyone considering.

$_57__14194.1561844476.jpg
s-l1600.png
6-polypropylene-fill-caps-for-ibc-s-and-tote-s-3.png

The 6” IBC caps fit a threaded opening which is 6” OD. I just went over to the shop and measured one (many IBCs aren’t returnable so we accumulate quite a collection of them). The product description for the keg states that the opening is 7.25” OD, 6” ID. So, you’re gonna need a bigger cap. Also, the IBC caps wouldn’t be food grade.

I’m sure the correct cap is available, but would probably cost a lot more than the price of the used keg.

With the shipping cost and the hassle of finding a lid that would fit, it doesn't look like a good deal from here....

The 6” IBC caps fit a threaded opening which is 6” OD. I just went over to the shop and measured one (many IBCs aren’t returnable so we accumulate quite a collection of them). The product description for the keg states that the opening is 7.25” OD, 6” ID. So, you’re gonna need a bigger cap. Also, the IBC caps wouldn’t be food grade.

I’m sure the correct cap is available, but would probably cost a lot more than the price of the used keg.
I guess the thread standard is DIN 11851, and it's a 150mm size. Maybe if someone can find a cap for that thread type at a reasonable price.

Back