Massachusetts Masstoberfest 2016 Ten years and going strong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I'm scaling back my brew setup, so gear for sale if anyone's in the market. I have a keggle, cleanly cut with a weldless bulkhead that's never leaked. I've got a March pump, and a (20?)-plate plate chiller. If anyone's vaguely interested, I can take pics. Just scaling back, I don't do 10-gallon batches (I hardly do 5) so I don't need the keggle, and while the pump and chiller work great, it's really more work than I need. I've just got back to a simple immersion chiller. If anyone's in the market, I can take some pics and you can make me an offer.

I'll probably take you up on that. Playing around with an English bitter, so it'll be something easy but I need *everything*. Hell, does he sell all-grain kits? That might be the easiest.

Whatever you want he has.

If he has an all-grain kit for an ordinary bitter, or a special bitter, or an ESB, that'll work fine.

If he doesn't have a kit pre-made, grab me:
8# of a British pale malt
0.5# of crystal 60
1# of flaked barley
3 ounces of either EKG or Fuggles
Dry yeast - S04 or Windsor

Let me know the damage and I'll pay you Saturday.

Just doing a simple, low-gravity British ale. The local club does a contest each winter for one basic style, this year we're doing English bitters. Kind of like the idea of having something smallish on draft in the basement.

Thanks, dude. **** Northern Brewer.

Hundreds of (admittedly loser) men worshipped you before when you were the beer wench behind the kegs. But you just floored the warp drive, you just went yard, you hit the big time.

You are Smiling Bob's Babe!!!!!

How could we have been so blind??????

You made me laugh, laugh, laugh. Thank you for being so weird as to remember Hardon Bob.

Also, I'm scaling back my brew setup, so gear for sale if anyone's in the market. I have a keggle, cleanly cut with a weldless bulkhead that's never leaked. I've got a March pump, and a (20?)-plate plate chiller. If anyone's vaguely interested, I can take pics. Just scaling back, I don't do 10-gallon batches (I hardly do 5) so I don't need the keggle, and while the pump and chiller work great, it's really more work than I need. I've just got back to a simple immersion chiller. If anyone's in the market, I can take some pics and you can make me an offer.

How big is the chiller? How much do you want for it? I could possibly use a plate chiller, if it's not too heavy for me to lug through the airport in my bag. I'm still using a CFC and it takes FOREVER to chill 11 gallon batches.

I'll take a picture tonight. It's one of the Duda-type chillers, twenty plate ( I think). Think I paid a hundred, I'd like to get back half of that.

I've been using it with the pump, which lets me recirc into the brew kettle. One pass knocks me down to about 100 degrees, and I'm down to pitching Temps (with a 5 gallon batch) in 10-15. Depend on how lazy I get.

[...]I could possibly use a plate chiller, if it's not too heavy for me to lug through the airport in my bag. I'm still using a CFC and it takes FOREVER to chill 11 gallon batches.

TSA should enjoy seeing a big block of metal traveling through the x-ray machine ;)

Don't want to squelch a sale but I'd be surprised if a PC would be an appreciable upgrade over your CFC...

Cheers!

I forgot I had a brewometer setup on the chiller, too. I might end up holding onto it. Really want to find a new home for the keggle, though.

Hey Tripper, you coming?

Ugh, it's a 50/50 deal right now. My youngest son is getting married next weekend and there's been way more stuff involving me than I thought I signed up for when I helped create him :drunk:

If the Spousal Unit isn't half-crazed with more "We gotta do's" I may be able to escape for a few hours...

Cheers!

I'm sorry but I read that post several times and couldn't find "I'll be glued to the TV all weekend long waiting for the return of GOAT to slaughter the Browns" Did you bring up this important date during the family meetings? Maybe the perfect time for an unforgettable first father/son conversation...

Riiight. "The Talk".

I hit "that age" a ways back where all my kids are certain they know more about life and love than me.
At this point they just nod and then do whatever makes sense to them.

The back-story on this wedding is 14 friggin' years long, and it's a miracle I didn't shoot both of them years ago.

Then there'd be no question where I'd be on Saturday...

Cheers! (Yeah, totally incarcerated for Life. But there'd have been a lot less drama, and I hear the inmates are into brewing...something... :drunk:)

[edit] Credit where due, my boys would never schedule an important event on a Patriots game day, they've been Pats fans for life (while I lived almost 20 years as a G'ints fan). The wedding's next Saturday (crosses self twice ;))

Ugh, it's a 50/50 deal right now. My youngest son is getting married next weekend and there's been way more stuff involving me than I thought I signed up for when I helped create him :drunk:

If the Spousal Unit isn't half-crazed with more "We gotta do's" I may be able to escape for a few hours...

Cheers!

But you HAVE to come! How can I come all the way to Boston, and not meet the one and only Mr_trippr????????

The stupid expression on my face stayed the same.

Truer words have never been spoken.

You got any hops, malt, and/or yeast in there?

I heard that he does.

I'm really excited about Paul's butt, but I'm also looking forward to his brisket. I plan on coming very hungry to Masstoberfest, and really thirsty. I've been training for this event for a whole year and think I'm ready.

The weather is just as pleasant as last year also.

Yay, would you look at the date! It's the night before Masstoberfest! Y'all know what that means dontcha? Yes! Time for your favorite bed time story!

Twas the night before Masstoberfest (2016!), when out on Paul's stoop
Not a creature was stirring, not even a Yoop.
The smoker was stuffed full of wood with care,
In hopes that anyone at all soon would be there.

The pork butts were nestled all snug in their brine,
While out sat the briskets, ageing like fine wine.
And Alice in her sweatshirt, and Paulie in only his cap,
Had just snuggled together for a well needed nap.

When out in the backyard there arose such a clatter,
That Paulie sprang from their bed to see what was the matter.
Away down the stairs he flew sorta like a flash,
Out onto the porch brandishing the paddle from his mash.

The moon on the breast of this bare chested fellow
Caused his neighbors to holler, scream, and then bellow.
Then, who before his squinty little eyes should appear,
But Bird, Cape, and Mort, with kegs full of beer.

With Big John and Dakota sitting by the oven,
Along with Melana and Yooper the token homebrewing women.
Faster than a unicorn from the porch Paulie came,
They all whistled, and shouted, and called him rude names!

"Hey *********!” “Hey, Masshole!” “Hey, misguided brewer!”
“Get kneading!” “Get baking!” “Get meat on some skewers!”
“To the front of them bricks!” “But watch out you big hick!”
“Put on some pants before you burn your tiny wick!"

So bad is the smell that pours from his smoker,
It causes the neighbors to contact their real estate brokers.
But to Paulie's house all the cool brewers did fly,
To eat all his vittles and then ask themselves why.

And later, as they recovered, Yooper stole the room,
Telling tales of her imaginary Cardbob, ‘til Paulie lowered the boom.
Then Will the instant soup fiend, slimmed down to almost nothing,
Laughed so hard as some cheese in her mouth Yooper began stuffing.

Smurf was dressed in flannel, from his head to his foot,
A steinbier he was brewing again, guaranteed to taste like soot.
That Melana's mash would stick, a fact we all did know,
Just an excuse to drop to her knees and show how she blows.

Paulie's eyes-how they twinkled! His winks were so merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his perverted stance was so scary!
His pizza paddle was covered in cornmeal so thick
And his oven was hard, 'coz it too is made out of brick.

The bone of a pig he held tight in his teeth,
While the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He stood broad chested, a trident in hand,
And raised up his arms, to flaunt his mighty glands!

He was proud of his cooking, an obvious entertainment hero,
He laughed about his friends who thought he was a zero!
With a flick of his wrist and a twist of the dough,
He created pizza so good, again Melana her mash she did blow.

He still stood their nekkid, an apron to wear everyone did wish,
To hide all his junk, or at least a kettle, cup, pot, or dish.
As time carried on, it began to smell like rot,
Ah, the corpses under his shed, that he totally forgot.

He sprang like an elf to the top of his smoker,
And away we all flew as he swung the fireplace poker.
We heard him exclaim, as he thrust out his junk,
"Go **** yourselves, you big bunch of drunks!"

Happy Masstoberfest Eve y'all!

Latest posts

Back