Omega English Ale I is a beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easttex

Reaction score
I had a package of OYL-006 that got shoved to back of the fridge and mostly forgotten. The bag was as inflated as it could be as well. I'm going to brew an English Golden Ale this Sunday and said what the hell....if it isn't viable, I can buy some English Ale yeast locally.

Knowing this was an old pack, I planned to do a two-stage starter. I pitched the yeast pack and topped it up to 500ml at around 4:00PM today.

This is where this old pack of yeast is at 4.5 hours later:
20210423_202834.jpg

Fizzing away!

This yeast was manufactured in October 2020. I can't believe it took off this well.

Definitely saving some this back for future brews.

Given that Omega's description of OYL-006 includes " attributed to a historic London brewery whose lab once hosted Louis Pasteur" which is code for Whitbread, and "a lightly tart, dry finish" in contrast to OYL-007 from the same brewery which has less attenuation, I think we can safely say we're talking about Omega's equivalents of 1098 and 1099 respectively.

Given that Omega quote a 5-month shelf life from manufacturing date, you weren't pushing it that hard - I routinely revive packs that are a year or two old.

Latest posts

Back