Peaty Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I love Laphroaig and Ardbeg, and would love to try to replicate this kind of taste in an ale. Anyone tried this?

Not only is @dmtaylor right, but I understand there's wide variation in the intensity of various peated/smoked malts, making it harder to dial in the right amount. I've only used one type, once, years ago, in a porter.

Side note: When I first developed an affection for single malt Scotch, I favored the heavily peated varieties. Now, less so.

Best of luck, @rodwha.

Millions have tried it, hundreds of thousands have regretted it.

I like a little peat in my Scottish ales, but I won't use more than 1/2 ounce per 5 gallons, literally. The tiniest amount goes a looooong way.
Yeah, I had a friend who’s not known for reading or researching things who had bought a pound and used it in 5 gals and it tasted like bog water or Lagavulin 16.

I was anticipating 4xs that amount.

Two suggestions:
  1. Peat smoke in a Scotch ale isn't really any more traditional than peat smoke in any other beer. So consider all the other styles, and figure out which one you'd most like to crap up with peat. Porter? Marzen? CA Common?
  2. Spike normal (i.e., non-peated) beer with Scottish whiskey. Might be a good, low-stakes way to figure out what peat actually works in.

Latest posts

Back