Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
The news is a few days old, but what the heck happened that the whole Supercharger team at Tesla got fired?

https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

I haven't had the opportunity to use the supercharger network yet, but everything I've heard about it has been positive.

Hopefully Ionna and other networks were prepared to hire, because a lot of talent just became available.
I don't understand much about what Musk does, nor why people seem to value TSLA so highly. The below is something I put together just shy of 2 weeks ago, so the numbers are likely a little off now.

Let's take a look at a couple stocks and their 12-month forward PE ratio:

• Tesla / TSLA 62.9
  • Ford / F 6.22
  • General Motors / GM 4.79
  • Toyota / TM 10.27
  • Honda / HMC 12.98
  • Volkswagen / VWAGY 2.54
  • Merc / MBGYY 5.33
  • BMW / BMWYY 5.87
  • Rivian / RIVN (N/A, losing money so no earnings)

Why in the world would anyone think TSLA is worth that multiple? The forward EPS is $2.58. That's Ford territory ($2.08 forward EPS). Toyota's is over $22.

Now, some people say TSLA shouldn't be valued as an automaker; it should be valued as a tech stock. I personally think those people are bonkers, but so be it.

The darling of the entire tech world right now is NVDA which produces the GPUs needed for AI. Red hot. Forward PE multiple of 36.11 on $25.07 forward EPS.

It makes no rational sense.

Just saw a video with Sandy Munro spouting off about how the layoff makes business sense. Kind of sounded like Munroe thought of the Supercharger network as a completed product. I can't see it that way. Yes, the hardware is ahead of the majority of their competitors, and they almost definitely have more plugs than any of their competitors, and I'm sure that those plugs are places very strategically.

But they've just opened up their network to thousands of non-tesla vehicles, are planning on becoming available to thousands more soon, and they do have competitors in ChargePoint, EVgo, ElectrifyAmerica, and others. Also, it isn't clear to me, but it sounds like some of the people laid off were also in charge of maintaining the equipment.

Also, the more I learn about DC fast charging the more I find that software is a huge factor in charging speed. I've learned about the software industry and taken more than a couple programming classes, and one thing I kept hearing is how the maintenance phase of your software is crucial. Customers need you to keep up on the product you sold them, or they're going to find a different product with a company that will back it.

Have we reached a point where charging networks are mature enough that it's no longer beneficial to have the kind of competitive advantage that Tesla has enjoyed for the past (how long has it been?)? I'm skeptical.

Seems like it was a Musk moment as opposed to a business decision. Word is he did it to prove a (stupid) point to the head of the team.
Not to defend Musk and his moments, but IME most of the points that owners feel the need to prove are relatively stupid.
It makes no rational sense.
Forget it, Jake, it's Wall Street.

My guess is the advances in FSD have made Elon think about switching strategies from being just a car manufacturer to a company that provides autonomous transport as their core business. If he has cracked it then all the other things they currently do would be a waste of Tesla's time.

My guess is the advances in FSD have made Elon think about switching strategies from being just a car manufacturer to a company that provides autonomous transport as their core business. If he has cracked it then all the other things they currently do would be a waste of Tesla's time.
That's 100% true.

And 0.1% likely 😂

I use it almost every day but have to take over frequently. The #1 issue being ridiculous lane changes when I’m cruising with the flow of traffic. It never did that in prior versions. I wish we could turn off lane changes completely.

I use it almost every day but have to take over frequently. The #1 issue being ridiculous lane changes when I’m cruising with the flow of traffic. It never did that in prior versions. I wish we could turn off lane changes completely.
Interesting. I haven't had to intervene since getting v12
Do you have it set on assertive or chill ?

Waymo is far ahead of Tesla on autonomous vehicle technology. Not only is Waymo enabling passenger vehicles, but they're also leading the autonomous semi-truck game.

Waymo technology is fully autonomous - no human driver is required behind the wheel.

In contrast, Tesla technology is classed as driver-assist - it requires a human driver behind the wheel.

https://waymo.com/

Latest posts

Back