Priming sugar contributing sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I brew BIAB and small batches. 1-1.5 gallons. When I bottle I use Northern Brewers priming sugar calculator. This last beer i did (a saison) had the same problems all the rest of mine do. They are way too sweet. Some have been way too high of an OG and I understand that, but there are some that I've hit my OG (whether adding water or not) and FG was close. Then the beer I drank tasted really good as it was going in the bottle. After aging in the bottle for a month the beer was overly sweet. Could I be using too much priming sugar? I can't imagine 1.6-1.8 oz of priming sugar into a 1-1.5 gallon batch would contribute to the sweetness of the beer, but curious if I'm wrong

Priming sugar should not be adding any noticeable sweetness. In fact since it is highly fermentable, I would expect no change or possibly even a less sweet beer.

The first thing that comes to my mind is mash temperature. That includes checking that your thermometer is accurate. What temperature do you use for the mash? Try cooler. maybe 150 or there about. Depending on style maybe even lower.

Priming sugar would only contribute to sweetness if it didn't completely ferment during carbonation, but that is a very unusual occurrence. As noted previously, table and corn sugar are completely fermentable. Also, 1.6 - 1.8 oz in 1 - 1.5 gal seems like too much priming sugar. How did you determine these amounts? You should be using a priming calculator like this one.

Brew on :mug:

Your recipe and mash temperature will change the amount of residual sugars, not the priming sugar as priming sugar will completely ferment out. Some of the sugars in the grains like the cara malts are unfermentable and give beer sweetness and if you mash at a high temperature the heat will destroy the beta amylase quickly which will then leave you with more unfermentable sugar. Please post recipes and temperature of the mash to help us troubleshoot.

Back