Pure Hop Aroma Oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello,

I have stumbled upon a product called Pure Hop Aroma Oil from a shop in the UK: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/ingredients/hop-aroma-oil/

This link will provide more details on what they are and how to use/dose: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/pure-hop-aroma-oil-cascade/

Of course, I ordered the Cascade, Citra and Nelson Sauvin oils. Of course I did. :yes:

I am planning on using them quite soon.

Has any of you used them before? I know there are not as many europeans in this forums, but I thought I would ask anyway.

The oils themselves smell differently from each other, so I don't doubt they will produce different results.

PS: I found like 2 short threads regarding these oils on an English forum, but nothing of substance, which leaves me to experiment myself.

Thanks in advance.

How did it go? I am in the process of buying them. I will also try distilled and report back.

I used it in 2 different beers: a dark red ale and an Imperial Porter. Each batch was around 21L/5.5 gallons. I used 2 ml for the Red ( Cascade oil ) and 4 ml for the Porter ( 2 ml Citra + 2 ml Nelson ).

The Red was probably too complex and I didn't pick up any Cascade in the nose. The Porter on the other hand was very aromatic in the nose. The Nelson dominated a bit, but was very pleasent. The Porter finished at 1.010 ( Nottingham attenuates like hell! ), but was really easy drinking at 8.1% ABV.

I would reckon that 4-6 ml in a 20L/5 gallons batch is the way to go. I got word if adding too much, might end up in slightly " chemical " aroma. But note that the oils will only add aroma, meaning what you smell in the beer, and no taste. This is why, if you are going to use it in hoppy beers, make sure your hopping schedule includes a good amount of late hop additions and whirlpool hops.

But I for one, I am content with it so far.

I just used a bit of Cascade and Citra for some bottles of my upcoming Red ale. Just to compare how it " smells " to the bottles that didn't get it.

NOTE: I added the oils in the fermenter and then racked to the bottling bucket, which mixed the oils. For the few bottles on my latest batch, I just added the oil to the bottling bucket and filled the bottles, which shoudl work well, but I will make sure to post back.

How do you feel it stands againts really hoppy commercial versions of haze ipa's? The reason I ask is because as you know commercial beers often have that pungent punch that we as homebrewers often strive for and compromise some flavor by adding that vegetal flavor.

I haven't had that much experience with these oils in really hoppy IPAs, so I don't have a definitive answer. I still need to brew some batches and use these oils exclusively as dry hopping. So, I can't really provide an honest/valid answer.

But I think it's worth experimenting. I know I will in the future, as I still have Cascade, Citra and Nelson Sauvin oils, so at some point in the future ( most probably here during spring/summer time ) I will brew a Citra, Cascade, Nelson IPA and use the oils for dry hopping. If I'll still remember this thread, I will make sur eto post back some thoughts on how it went.

I'm sorry for not being able to provide more constructive feedback.

They ship to Europe but not to the US. Bummer. Found one US vendor that is mostly out of stock and $17.99 for 15ml compared to four quid for same from The Malt Miller.

I've made my own hop oil extract by method of steam extraction. It's likely that the heat affects the character of the oils, so not sure if it's the same product as what is sold at the link in post #1.

In a quick experiment, it seems my oil is quite harsh. I probably overdid it (1 drop in a glass of beer). I probably need to revisit. The aroma of the oil is really nice, like putting your nose in a bag of fresh hops. But the flavor, when overdone, is objectionable. I guess my brief experience is to carefully test before adding to a full carboy/keg of beer.

Here's a bunch of pics and discussion of how I extracted my own in my garage.

Steam Distillation of Hops

full

I have some distilled oil hop and I have yet to use it in a beer. For what I've heard the oil has a different character that "dry hops" however if you think about it when this are added at the whirlpool or during the last minutes of your boil they are also exposed to heat.

At a brewery we used hopunion cascade oil made by supercritical CO2 extraction. 1 ml per barrel added during cold crash. No sense in having aromatics go out the blowoff tube. Pure hop oil was dissolved in everclear (necessary step) and added to the conical for pale and IPA's with flavor differences coming from late addition and flame out hop charges. It didn't taste/smell exactly like cascade just an overall pleasant hoppiness. Hopunion's other varieties were not as pleasant and clean as cascade. You can achieve a similar, but IMHO not quite as good, result using cascade hop oil solutions from www.hoptech, 1-2 tsp per 5 gallons. I see hoptech has calypso I might want to give that a go. $18 per 2 liquid ounces. 2 ounces equals 12 teaspoons. I add hoptech oil solution directly to my keg. It tastes as if hoptech uses CO2 extraction hop oils in their product. The website says they do.

Note: steam distillation and CO2 extraction give VASTLY different results. I haven't cared much for my homemade steam distilled hop oils as they were way to harsh.

Anyone know where to buy just the CO2 extracted varietal hop oils? I don't think hopunion makes that available via retail but I hope so.

Back