Repitching advice/guideline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks.
I directly repitch slurry more often than not, and use the general rule of thumb Low to high OG, light to dark. But I'm curious if anyone has gone against that slightly, and what sort of results were had? I'm aware there was a Brülosophy episode very recently ( haven't listened yet, but read the results. I'm not going nearly that extreme in gravity), and I'm looking to pitch a fresh pack of windsor into a brown ale (~1.055 OG, ~20 SRM) and then repitching that eventually into a golden ale (~1.045, ~4-5 SRM). Afterwards, a stout or two.

Would this be a problem? I *could* brew the golden first, but due to personal preference of what I want to drink and what I currently have on hand, I would rather have the brown ale first. Is the golden going to be too delicate to risk?

You could maybe make a starter with the slurry and then decant the liquid off of it if worried about the leftover flavor from the darker beer. Or maybe only use a very small quantity of that slurry.

Back