Single Hop Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I like how buying in bulk makes IPAs more economical so I figured why not test them first as a super hoppy pale ale first. MoreBeer sells boxes of hops that looks appealing but comes with 2 oz of Magnum. I’m brewing 2.5 gal batches and no longer like sharing bags of hops between more than two beers so this won’t serve me well as a bittering hop as I shoot for just about 20 IBUs in most beers. It states it tastes like Wilamette, not something I’d see as appealing. Thoughts?

And Azacca? I’ve had an amazing IPA but brewed a 44 IBU pale ale and found it lacking. I’m thinking of trying it again but at 60+ IBUs.

I fell in love with HBC-342 long ago, it had a crazy melon-like flavor in a hoppy pale ale, but when I tried it in an IPA, it wasn’t even as good.

Chinook seems to be a love it or hate it hop. I love Arrogant Bastard and think it a fine beer. As a pale ale? Anyone tried it?

I’m brewing a dank black IPA and went in for some dry hops and was pointed to Strata. I see it provides some rank dank only as a dry hop. Anyone use it as a single hop?

What’s the most piney hop, like sucking on pine cone extract?

I’d love to hear what’s been tried and found only really good as one or the other and why.

I like how buying in bulk makes IPAs more economical so I figured why not test them first as a super hoppy pale ale first. MoreBeer sells boxes of hops that looks appealing but comes with 2 oz of Magnum. I’m brewing 2.5 gal batches and no longer like sharing bags of hops between more than two beers so this won’t serve me well as a bittering hop as I shoot for just about 20 IBUs in most beers. It states it tastes like Wilamette, not something I’d see as appealing. Thoughts?

And Azacca? I’ve had an amazing IPA but brewed a 44 IBU pale ale and found it lacking. I’m thinking of trying it again but at 60+ IBUs.

I fell in love with HBC-342 long ago, it had a crazy melon-like flavor in a hoppy pale ale, but when I tried it in an IPA, it wasn’t even as good.

Chinook seems to be a love it or hate it hop. I love Arrogant Bastard and think it a fine beer. As a pale ale? Anyone tried it?

I’m brewing a dank black IPA and went in for some dry hops and was pointed to Strata. I see it provides some rank dank only as a dry hop. Anyone use it as a single hop?

I’d love to hear what’s been tried and found only really good as one or the other and why.

I love Magnum. I use it in almost every brew as the bittering hop. Even in a Citra pale ale. Where a tad of Magnum and Citra the rest of the way. It's a very clean bittering hop.

As far as piney , Chinook as you mentioned as well as Columbus and Simcoe.

I used to use Warrior for bittering, but that was when I was making 5.5 gal batches so it’s easy to split 1/2 or an ounce of hops between 2 beers. These hops come in 2 oz packages and that’s far too much when you’re brewing smaller 2.5 gal batches and shooting for ~20 IBUs. That would last too long. That’s why I was asking about using it as a flavor and aroma or dry hop addition. I tried Warrior and didn’t like it.

I love Magnum. I use it in almost every brew as the bittering hop. Even in a Citra pale ale. Where a tad of Magnum and Citra the rest of the way. It's a very clean bittering hop.
For most of these use cases I use bittering extract, especially with hoppy beers. If I'm throwing a tonne of green hop matter into my kettle, I want 100% of it to be bringing flavour or aroma.

I used the basic Experimental single hop recipe from Morebeer, bought the grains and tried different hops. I would say Idaho 7 has been very good (finishing the last of my 5 gallon batch now), I enjoyed the Motueka one as well. Citra was another good one, as well as Cascade. Chinook was a bit bitter for me, but most of the others I tried I enjoyed.

I used the basic Experimental single hop recipe from Morebeer, bought the grains and tried different hops. I would say Idaho 7 has been very good (finishing the last of my 5 gallon batch now), I enjoyed the Motueka one as well. Citra was another good one, as well as Cascade. Chinook was a bit bitter for me, but most of the others I tried I enjoyed.
Ahhh, yes, Chinook. It seems it one of those love it or hate it hops. I love Arrogant Bastard which I understand to be brewed solely with it or at least the later additions.

It’s on my list to try for sure.

Get a vacuum sealer, make 1/4 oz packs, and store them in the freezer.
Does this work well? How long can they be stored like this and stay fairly true to the AAs and whatnot? I happen to have a vacuum sealer.

Does this work well? How long can they be stored like this and stay fairly true to the AAs and whatnot? I happen to have a vacuum sealer.
I’ve read, I believe, that the plastic used isn’t nearly like the stuff they use to package hops, that it still bleeds something, maybe it was light? It’s been far too long.

How long can they be stored like this and stay fairly true to the AAs and whatnot?
I believe there are calculators for that, but I tend to either not worry about it or guesstimate because I haven't stored any for a very long time yet. I know there are members who buy hops in much larger quantities than you're talking about and store them this way. Maybe some will chime in.
I’ve read, I believe, that the plastic used isn’t nearly like the stuff they use to package hops, that it still bleeds something, maybe it was light?
Well AFAIK it stays pretty dark in my freezer, but who really knows what the freezer light gremlins might be up to? And you can always put the bags in a box.

Last edited:

I brew A black IPA every Christmas and call it Black Christmas. I use a good amount of hops in it. About 12 oz total between hot side and cold side for a 5 gallon batch. It's a combo of CTZ, simcoe, chinook, and centennial. Lots of resinous pine with that combo. Couple that with the slight roasty malt profile and it is perfect to sip on around Christmas time.

If you find some of your IPA's lacking, make sure you are keeping oxygen out post fermentation as best as you can. Oxidation is a huge killer for hop aromas. There are many other factors that can contribute to lacking hop aroma, but that is certainly a big one that will turn a very aromatic IPA into something dull and muddled quickly.

Latest posts

Back