Star San and Sanitization for Cheese Making - A Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Does anyone here, who presumably also brew beer and /or make wine use Star San to sanitize cheese making kettles and tools or do you choose to boil everything? Is Star San, for example, only really good for cleaning surfaces (tables and counters) in the food world or can it be used as we do when brewing or making wine? Thoughts? Thanks.

Just boil it. It would probably be fine, but Star San is an acid wash and pH is really important for getting milk to do the right thing at the right time in the right way. For small batches of cheese, my in-house expert tells me it's a bad idea.

For us making beer, leaving a little doesn't hurt anything, so it's great for no-rinse. For cheese making, it sounds like it would need a good rinse.

What volume of milk do you usually start working with, double-P?

Always at least 2 gallons. I suppose if you were making small batches, it could have some effect. I vaguely remember reading that other folks in the cheesemaking community also used starsan. But mostly they are less concerned with brewer's level of cleanliness.

Last edited:
FYI cheesemaking has been a very frustrating endeavor for me. I'd estimate about 50% fails, due to all sorts of things. Mozzarella is closer to 90%.

Most of my troubles (I think) are with the milk. Raw milk is SO much better than pasteurized/homogenized. Other issues are with the cheese getting too cheesy. Over time, it keeps getting sharper and cheezier. Great at first, but after a while it's too sharp. This has to do with leaving too much lactose in there. Not sure how to cure it yet. Probably something needs to change during curd creation - I'll figure it out.

Beer is nearly 100% success rate these days.

I wonder if the issue for general cheese-making might be the efficacy of the cultures you are using. Most recipes, I understand are based on the amount of time at a known temperature the bacteria need to grow to acidify the cheese. If the culture is too small or too old or the temperature is to cold or too hot or the time you allow for the fermentation (ripening) is too short or too long, the acid levels in the curds (not so much the whey) may not be optimal for the cheeses you are trying to make.

Then there is the problem of unwanted molds growing on the surface and /or in the paste (the latter if your pressing leaves mechanical faults that allow molds to enter the paste).

I gotta say that Mozz is the hardest cheese I have found to make successfully, I think because the criteria you need to make a stretchy and smooth cheese is so specific (a pH of 5.2), with minimal kneading and yet with a lot of the moisture (the whey) appropriately expelled.

My own cheese making is focused on three or four types of cheese that don't require a lot of "affinage". And I recently purchased a sous vide heater that allows me to better control the temperature of the cheese BUT it can take a longer time to hit cooking temperatures (say 30 minutes to go from 90 to 115 F. I have much less control of how long it takes to hit a temperature with the SV than I have with my stove but with a double boiler on the stove, it ain't easy to hit 115 and not exceed that when reached.

Then, constant stirring is something I have a real problem with. I need to find some kind of automatic stirrer I can put in the kettle and walk away. But stirring , is another factor that create problems: every cheese has a preferred moisture content of the paste. Stirring removes whey from the curds, BUT if you allow the surface of the curds to become to firm too quickly, that whey is trapped. And pressing also allows whey to be expelled, but the flow of whey under pressure cannot be too strong as you can expel calcium, fats and proteins if the weight is too heavy.

One of the best resources, in my opinion are the books by Gianaclis Caldwell. Her focus is not so much on recipes but on principles. Most other books focus on recipes not principles, so you are often left high and dry, if for example, you don't want to use lab produced cultures or you cannot constantly stir the curds for an hour.

I also use sous vide to heat the milk. So much control there. Also, I have not bought any of the following yet automatic stirring thingys, but I'm sure I will eventually. If you do, let me know how they work!

https://a.co/d/0gOPKtk
https://a.co/d/6QZNnh8
https://a.co/d/6QZNnh8
1705606394998.png

Have not bought any of these stirrers... yet... but I am always loathe to spend money on stuff that is not raw material for wine, mead or cheese making.

Back