Too much 02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Is it possible that I overoxygenated?? I used a starter for the first time and also oxygenated for the first time too. Fermentation is going crazy and I've lost at least 1/2 gallon out of the blow off tube into the catch bucket!! I don't mind sacrificing some brew to the beer gods, but I didn't plan on getting them wasted!!:drunk:

Sounds like you did it right!

A proper size starter and o2 make for a good ferment.

David :)

It is hard to over oxygenate as most of us simpy inject with an airstone. A whole lot of that oxygen just rises to the top of the wort and exits the fermentor as we are not injecting under pressure.

I'd guess the oxyen may have some small part in your aggressive fermentation and blowoff, but a heavy gravity with lotsa yummy yeast food is the bigger culprit.

I guess I either need to invest in a couple ale pails or some 6.5 gallon carboys for primary. Just checked to see if the beer had crawled across the basement yet and I'd bet I've lost close to a gallon now. I guess it's better than the alternative.

I lost half of my recent Barleywine (1.120 OG) to explosive blowoff. Racked wort onto yeast cake from previous batch. Also used O2. I do believe that I went overboard.

I don't know how to avoid this in the future. I probably won't use O2 when pitching to yeast cake. I now see that there's no point in growth of more yeast with a starter that large. The O2 is used by the yeast to reproduce, not to convert sugars to alcohol.

I might also consider breaking the 5g up into 2 2.5g batches, and splitting the yeast. This might eliminate the apocalyptic blowoff I experienced. Maybe not, though (you had to be there).

What size container are you using now? Foam control drops will help or you could get a 7.5 gallon fermentor which should do the trick.

What size container are you using now? Foam control drops will help or you could get a 7.5 gallon fermentor which should do the trick.

+1 to the suggestion of using Foam Control drops. They really work well to prevent blow-offs, and are a heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing new fermenters.

+2 to Fermcap-S, Foam Control,etc. Keeps those crazy fermentations at bay. I use it in my starters on my stir plate to keep them from foaming up and its great for avoiding boil overs as well.

I guess I forgot or didn't think the fermcap would help with the blowoff. I used it in the boil and it helped tremendously. I'm using a 5 gal carboy. I also didn't realize 5 gal means 5 gal and not much over at all!! When do you add the fermcap to the fermenter, during transfer from the chiller? The batch I'm doing in a couple minutes is supposed to hit 1.103 OG and I've got a starter waiting for that one as well. The one still going crazy in the basement was 1.074.

I add it when in the kettle to avoid boil overs and usually don't have to add it to the fermenter. Only once did I have to add a couple more drops to my primary and it was because I was brewing up a big barleywine.

Latest posts

Back