Two-pepper Havarti Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like a Christmas cheese :)

I chopped up red chilis and green jalapenos, and added some smoked habanero powder, to this cheese. Not sure what's going to happen to those exposed peppers in the cave - we'll just have to wait a while and see how it turns out. I've got it in the cheese cave now. I'll likely eat this one young (4 weeks).

upload_2019-10-28_16-52-14.png

upload_2019-10-28_16-54-32.png

upload_2019-10-28_16-55-1.png

upload_2019-10-28_16-53-50.png

upload_2019-10-28_16-56-6.png

Last edited:
Cut it early. It's very tasty. Soft in the middle, but quite dry on the outside. Great on crackers. I've got to figure out why some of my cheeses end up dry like this. It think it has something to do with pH and acidification.

Not that hot dammit. I cut back on the peppers thinking I was overdoing it. Nope. Next cheese the gloves come off. I've got some late-season Carolina Reapers that I grew in the fridge. Evil.

upload_2019-11-11_19-31-38.png

Next cheese the gloves come off. I've got some late-season Carolina Reapers that I grew in the fridge.

I have grown Ghost and Moruga Scorpions before but never in the fridge. Do you have to keep the light on? :rock:

Additionally; I would keep your gloves on when cutting the Reapers. You'll wish you had when you next relieve yourself. :no:

On a serious note; I have made several batches of brie and attempted Munster once. The brie was awesome; the Munster I brined too long and it was terribly salty. After aging 12-18 months it was hard enough you could crumble a teaspoon or so on your eggs or whatever. Salt never decreased of course so it went in the trash. :(

I don't have a fancy press like you but your post has encouraged me to make another go at it. Maybe I'll post some pictures in a week or so.

:goat:

Back