Why did I do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because tinkering is fun. And now you have an excuse to do starters.

In all seriousness, when I went from using rehydrated dry yeast or direct-pitch liquid yeast to using starters, there was a step change in both quality and consistency of my beers. I find it to be well worth the effort.

Thanks gavin.
I'm not sure if the cardboard box was easier or harder to work with than wood.

I did the same ..I ended up using mine a few times though... and if I every do another run of back to back batches I find them usful in harvesting yeast from my conicals and making a starter. I used an old plastic cd spindle case for blank cds which holds my flask perfect.

Thank-you! It's good to know I'm not the only one.

I've got a RIMS tube built mostly from stuff I had laying around. Used it a few times "because I could", but like my direct fire system better.

Also, tried BIAB and put together a pulley system in the kitchen that I used twice out of four BIAB beers. Works great and is fun when I'm looking for a change in pace, but I prefer 3V.

The list goes on. If I can do it on the cheap and I have the time and skills, I'll build it.

Don't think I'll ever get bored of looking at something and thinking, "I can make beer with that".

Back