Anyone try The Brew Jacket ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been curious about this one as well. Living in a tiny apartment means something like this would make temp control much easier than a water bath.

-- Nathan

Nate,

I do not have the space problem, for me it was more like
I don't want to by a Fridge to convert to a Fermentation chamber.

The Brew Jacket Chiller is pretty pricey ! at $300 each.
But two of those, and two buckets, and I can Lager anywhere.....
two of these is much more compact than a Whole Fridge.

Bueller ?

Bueller?

Anyone out there bought one of these?
Its the greatest thing since sliced bread?
Or the biggest scam since the Moon Landing ?

Steve

Google brew jacket HomeBrewtalk and a bunch of threads come up. It does look interesting, the price is steep though. I'm interested in this as well.

I did that JoeBob

Most of the threads are short - old , or do not have any info from someone who has actually used the product.

I was hoping to peak the interest of someone who has bought the thing, and tried it out.

Steve

I'm more interested in this for temp control than lagering, though I will probably want to try lagering someday. My place is tiny, and ambient temps are always 70 or higher so controlling fermentation temperatures is a challenge. Currently brewing with Saison yeast, but it'd be nice to be able to control temps with such a small footprint assuming it works. It's possible I'll just shoot the lock off my wallet and try this, in which case I'll report back here.

-- Nathan

I did that JoeBob

Most of the threads are short - old , or do not have any info from someone who has actually used the product.

I was hoping to peak the interest of someone who has bought the thing, and tried it out.

Steve

Well, I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but here is a review

http://www.brewunited.com/index.php?blogid=136

Here is a thread of the brew jacket. There are a few posts that go into a users reviews. Not necessarily a detailed review though.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=518235&page=2

This looks really intriguing to me, but for $299 it's a steep price to pay. While I do see the advantage of the small footprint. A mini fridge and stc 1000 will cost half that. What is the life span of the brew jacket?

I posted a Question in their forum - no reply now for 2 full days

Their web page is Vague about how the BrewJacket Rod, can raise the temp of your lagering beer.

The Rod is the part that gets cold, to chill your beer.
They make claims that you lager your beer at 50F and then raise the temp to 65F for the dyastital rest

But other places on their website they hint at - the rod is not a heater......??

So how does one raise the temp from 55F to 65F ?

After spending $300, i need to buy another device to heat my beer back up to 65F?

I have posted this question in their forum - it' has been there for 2 full days now, - with no replies for other users( people who bough the device )
And no reply from anyone from the compnay.

Does that strike anyone as ODD?
$300 for a Cooling Rod, then i gotta go buy something else to raise the temp?

I'm out....

I can get a small fridge, and dual temp control for that kinda money

Just my 2 cents
Steve

I posted a Question in their forum - no reply now for 2 full days

Their web page is Vague about how the BrewJacket Rod, can raise the temp of your lagering beer.

The Rod is the part that gets cold, to chill your beer.

They make claims that you lager your beer at 50F and then raise the temp to 65F for the dyastital rest

But other places on their website they hint at - the rod is not a heater......??

So how does one raise the temp from 55F to 65F ?

After spending $300, i need to buy another device to heat my beer back up to 65F?

I have posted this question in their forum - it' has been there for 2 full days now, - with no replies for other users( people who bough the device )

And no reply from anyone from the compnay.

Does that strike anyone as ODD?

$300 for a Cooling Rod, then i gotta go buy something else to raise the temp?

I'm out....

I can get a small fridge, and dual temp control for that kinda money

Just my 2 cents

Steve

The heating part is a requested "future feature" as of now it cannot heat anything.

So, its a $300 fridge with Single temp control

I have a Black Box - $75 ( http://www.blackboxbrew.com/ )

I got a Red Bull Cooler of Craig's List for $75 similar to this one
(https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/app/5267887721.html)

I added the Heat Wrap $30 ( http://www.morebeer.com/products/fermwrap-heater.html?gclid=COL0iJXF6sgCFUGSfgodGUQP_w )

So the Black Box, Chills using the Red Bull, and heats using the Wrap.

I put all this together for $180

Saved myself $120 on the Brew jacket?!

I guess that's why there have not been alot of people chiming in about their purchase of the Brew Jacket system???

I was just looking for some feedback from owners

I was looking for a way to save on space in my little brew room.
That Red Bull cooler takes up a lot of room compared to the Brew Jacket Sys

Steve

I'm interested in the brewjacket too. The only thing holding me back is the fact that the company producing it is a brand new startup. What if this thing breaks down a year from now and they're not in business anymore? I've got a $300 door stop.

For now I'll think I'll pass on the brew jacket. Looks good, but it's to expensive especially for a single temp control.

I have one, used it once. Did fine in a hot garage for ale temps. I believe when it first got here I filled it with water and set it crazy low say 40 when it was low 90s in my garage in the day time. I want to say the lowest it ever got was 21-25 below ambient....in other words lagering in the summer in the garage, no way. In the house likely depending on where you keep your thermostat. Lagering in the cooler months no problem.

Anyone wants it, shoot me a pm. I suspect we can make a deal, I since purchased a great big freezer and will go conical one day and get rid of them All

I lager no problem very small space with two foam coolers. One for an ice water bath and the other for a lid to ferment. After the room temp rest just ice and no water. No way 300 bucks...... that will buy 5 sacks of German Pilsner.

This is the reply i got from BrewJacket.

Hi Steve,

You can either raise the temp on the controller and the unit will stop cooling until the temp naturally climbs back up to the mid 60s, or you can accelerate the process by removing the fermenter from the jacket.

Aaron

So - No the Rod does not heat
Seems like a BIG thing to be missing - to me.
Means you need another option to raise temps.........

Just my 2 Cents
S

I have one, used it once. Did fine in a hot garage for ale temps. I believe when it first got here I filled it with water and set it crazy low say 40 when it was low 90s in my garage in the day time. I want to say the lowest it ever got was 21-25 below ambient....in other words lagering in the summer in the garage, no way. In the house likely depending on where you keep your thermostat. Lagering in the cooler months no problem.

Anyone wants it, shoot me a pm. I suspect we can make a deal, I since purchased a great big freezer and will go conical one day and get rid of them All

Vasteroid,

Thanks for the info, i was really looking for input from Owners
Feedback - the good the bad and the ugly of - that only an Owner would know, before i made my decision.

Doesn't look like much of a real option, at at $300 price point.
$100 maybe..... cheaper than a mini fridge, but at $300
I need it to do more.

Thanks for all the input HBT

S

Back