Order to read Brewing Elements series?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lax coach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got in on the sale Bell's was having last week on the Brewing Elements series of books (Hops, Malt, Yeast, Water), and was curious if anyone had a recommended order in which to read them.

I feel like that's asking which flavor ice cream to eat, or what beer recipe to make. Kinda personal preference. I wanted to know more about malts first, then yeast/hops or hops/yeast, but it's really up to what you like.

I'd say Yeast first, because that's the most important aspect of brewing. Other than that book I wouldn't care that much. I've read them all but Yeast is always important. Yeast handles aspects which everybody should know, because yeast is the key to good beer. The others are just what interests you more, imo. That water-book is the toughest of them, as there's way more formulas and "nerdy" stuff in that one. Hops is a simple read which doesn't go too deep into the material. Malt is also an interesting read.

I've only finished yeast and water. But I'd do water last. It wasn't very easy for me to follow.

Not that the information isn't all there. Just alot more chemistry equations than I was prepared for.

The order I'd do them is yeast, water, hops, malt. Of the four, I learned the least in the Malt book, but it's still valuable.

I suspect the order people would suggest depends on where they have the greatest knowledge deficit. For me, I learned the most in the yeast and water books. But you might know a lot about those topics but not hops or malt, so the order might be different for you.

I've read, and re-read, the yeast book about 4 times.

I don't know anything about anything (hence putting this in the beginners forum), so I guess that means they'll all be equally valuable. :)

Just do whatever peaks your interests most. Or read the book that you think will help YOUR beers the most first. It really doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back