Anyone else oder rhizomes from Northern Brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tossed this out in another thread, but did anyone else order rhizomes from Northern Brewer? I did, and they arrived on Friday Mar 28 by USPS. And the return address on the package?

Freshops
36180 Kings Valley Hwy
Philomath OR 97370

Wondering if others saw the same thing, or whether maybe this was a one-off to cover some kind of shortage at NB. If this is just the way NB sells rhizomes, I could have got the same rhizomes, from the same place, on the same delivery date -- for 25% less (NB charges $5.99, Freshops $4.50 ea)

Does NB really just tack on $1.50 per rhizome, pass the order to freshops, and count their $$ ?
:confused:
:mad:

No, I remember that from last year (bought my hops from NB). I want to say that they said on the website that they were going to be shipped directly from the source company for freshness.

I have no problem with them doing this, BTW; not everyone's going to know about hopsdirect or freshops or the other sources, and some people (like me) are more comfortable limiting the number of online vendors I give my money to, just for security's sake. It's no different from the local HBS buying rizomes from freshops and re-selling them - it just eliminates unncecessary shipping between retailers and puts fresher hops in your hands.

I received mine today...same thing. The only benefit I can see is I ordered mine with another order, so shipping was essentially free (only one charge for two actual "shipments" of goods). Still, I ordered a total of 12 rhizomes with a friend and they made out like a bandit if thats the case...I'm definitely headed to Midwest & Austin for future purchases...

the_bird said:
No, I remember that from last year (bought my hops from NB). I want to say that they said on the website that they were going to be shipped directly from the source company for freshness.
All in all, that's the way I'd want them to do it (no double handling/extra shipping time). I guess I just assumed (shame on me) that they wouldn't be getting them from a place where I could order them on my own, and charging me 33% markup for the privilege.

Maybe more than 33%, as I suspect they negotiated some kind of bulk pricing from freshops.

It's really simple: any company that is not located in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho is selling someone else's rhizomes, because those are the only three states in the USA that grow hops commercially.

[There might be a few minor players in other states, but not any of the big operations.]

david_42 said:
It's really simple: any company that is not located in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho is selling someone else's rhizomes, because those are the only three states in the USA that grow hops commercially.

[There might be a few minor players in other states, but not any of the big operations.]

That much I get; I guess I was just too dumb to put 2 and 2 together and realize they were getting them from the very same place I could have ordered them for less. Oh, and despite the fact that NB did nothing other than move electrons around, they still charged $7.99 "BrewSaver" shipping for a package that cost $2.32 to mail.

I suppose it was worth something for me to get them from NB, as when I ordered freshops wasn't yet taking orders. And somehow, NB sold me Crystal rhizomes, which freshops doesn't show as an option.

Can't say I blame NB...obviously I was willing to pay what they asked. But as the saying goes, "fool me once...". They'll probably drop to the bottom of my HBS choices for awhile.

I just got my shipping notice email from them this morning. I was going to give them to my brother in Washington, until I read the fine print about their hop quarantine. I guess I will have to see how they do here in SoCal. I managed to find some for my brother from Mountain Homebrew in Washington, that were a few $ cheaper than NB. OBTW, was at my LHBS Saturday and they were putting up the twine for the bines on maybe 10 healthy plants behind the shop. They are growing each plant in a "planter" made from 16(?) gallon LME barrels with the end cut off.

Bike N Brew said:
That much I get; I guess I was just too dumb to put 2 and 2 together and realize they were getting them from the very same place I could have ordered them for less. Oh, and despite the fact that NB did nothing other than move electrons around, they still charged $7.99 "BrewSaver" shipping for a package that cost $2.32 to mail.

I suppose it was worth something for me to get them from NB, as when I ordered freshops wasn't yet taking orders. And somehow, NB sold me Crystal rhizomes, which freshops doesn't show as an option.

Can't say I blame NB...obviously I was willing to pay what they asked. But as the saying goes, "fool me once...". They'll probably drop to the bottom of my HBS choices for awhile.

Isn't that the point of an HBS? The markup is the same whether the vendor is on line or in person (well maybe less if online exclusively). HBS's buy items from different sources (whether it is the original manufacturer or a distributor) then mark the product up and sell it to you, it isn't exactly rocket science. If you want to pay the cheapest price possible, try to buy direct, if you want the convenience of a single shipping price and not having to place 5 orders to 5 different online shops then you are going to have to deal with the HBS's.

Business is Business. Most retailers will post a policy of a "price match".. knowing that their price is higher than average. Why?.. because if the customer knows about it being cheaper some where else, they will lower the margin at the register to the few customers who do the research. Customers who walk in and buy (or click and buy in their case) are comparing value to convenience.. and will buy on perceived value.

I bet fresh hops makes most of their money being a supplier of rhizomes to stores, both internet and brick and mortar (IE: your local LHBS).

a 33% retail markup isn't a lot to a retailer. Most retailers start their markups at 50%. I bet NB offers rhizomes more of a "door buster" for January and February in hopes that you'll buy other stuff while your at it, increasing sales after fourth quarter.

Then again, I will search and do my homework on price.

Anybody find simcoe or columbus rhizomes? I have Cascade and Chinook that will be on their third year of production. But getting Columbus and Simcoe would be awesome.

Eastside

Latest posts

Back