do all infections taste nasty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been struggling with an off-flavor issue for some time now, which is usually slightly noticeable after primary, and gets stronger as the beer ages. I would describe it as a sweet, kind of earthy, slightly burnt caramel type taste (all grain, so no burnt extract here). After pouring over my technique with a fine toothed comb a dozen times, with much help from all of you, I'm starting to wonder if I've got some sort of nasties about.

The thing is, this beer is drinkable, in fact it's better than some commercial brews I've had.

So, my question now is this:

Have any of you ever had infection problems which didn't make your beer undrinkable? am I way off track here?

I have not had an infection in 23 years of brewing. So I can't help there. But by doing all grain doesn't mean that a wort can be caramelized. I believe that was stroh's claim to fame.

Ahh, Stroh's, that brings me back. They do that on purpose though, don't they? in bringing all grain wort to a boil, how would you caramalize that liquid without an incredibly powerful flame?

Back