Does anyone have a good brown ale recipe? (for SWMBO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Here's the deal. SWMBO keeps asking me to brew a brown ale, and I don't like the style a whole lot so I've been putting it off. The only brown ale that I really like so far is Brooklyn Brown Ale, because it has a complexity to it that other brown ales seem to lack.

Anyway, SWMBO says she likes New Glarus Fat Squirrel and New Castle. Realizing that these are very different interpretations of the style, does anyone have a good recipe that approximates either? I don't want to brew a batch and have to drink it all myself because she doesn't like it.

Do a search for Jester's Dark n Scary.

I brewed up a batch, and it came out close to a porter, but SWMBO and I had 2 cases gone in 2 weeks, and they normally last us a month or better.

I like the Fat Squirrel clone, and I think I'll be brewing that again this winter.

The other recipe I have for a brown ale is in my recipe pull-down, and it's more like Newcastle. It's not roasty at all, and is rather bland (in my opinion) and tastes quite a bit like Newcastle. It's a nice beer for someone that likes malty beers without a lot of hop character, but doesn't want the roasty flavors of a porter or stout.

That's an extract recipe, but I'm sure it could be converted if you needed an all-grain or partial mash recipe.

janet's brown ale (by mcdole) is supposed to be good. haven't brewed it though. probably will soon.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16377

I did up a Janet's Brown recently. Haven't tasted since the kegging. It was a bit hoppy then, but I fudged the hops with what I had on hand and some of that was home-grown. That said, it tasted pretty good.

Be warned that it's on the high end for what most people call a brown ale. Just a bit more of everything I think.

Ooooh- pick mine, pick mine!!!!!

I've got one in my drop down, too. Never entered it in comp, but Yooper made it and liked it.

My wife loves the Moose Drool clone I made. It's not too bitter, has just enough roast by without being drying, and the English yeast leaves it slightly sweeter. I suspect a lot of wives out there who don't like our beer are really complaining about the bitterness and lack of sweetness. That's why I might be making 1968 my house yeast for everything.

Latest posts

Back