Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsandiebrew

Reaction score
So I am about to move a pale ale to the secondary for dry hopping and I was wondering if it is better to let it sit in the secondary for a week or so before dry hopping or should I just dry hop it wait a week and then bottle? Advice please and thanks.

Check your gravity and if it's stable, add the hops right away. Why wait?

You can rack to secondary to dry hop if you want,but you can dry hop in primary too. The choice is yours. Just make sure the beer's settled out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. Any suspended yeast,etc will be coated by the hop oils & go to the bottom with them. You want the oils to remain in suspension.

Agree with Remmy, but would like to add that when you take a gravity reading taste it. There are flaws created by technique that could be reduced by a few days on the yeast past fermentation being complete. Or if it has a green taste that you think could benefit from a few weeks in a secondary, don't dry hop until sometime during the last week.

IMO if your not planning on reusing the yeast, I'd dryhop in the primary. One less opportunity for oxidation and infection. Just my 2 cents. :)

Yea, forget the secondary and just dry hop in the primary. I wash my yeast after doing this with no issues too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

I secondary, but I have a co2 setup for purging the Carboy. I cold crash the primary, move to secondary. Dry hop once it's reached room temp. Then wait 1-3 weeks. Tasting and

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have dry hopped the primary though . It works fine. With home brewing I have found you must try it to know.

I actually have had more success with a secondary dry hop. No idea how or why. Did primary only since the fall and even repeats of some of my hoppy beer have been lacking. I am going back to my old system on the next batch and will check back in

My plan for dry hopping latest IPA is to cold crash the primary after about 10 days, add gelatin for complete clearing then rack to my keg. I'll add dry hops then let it sit for a week of room temp dry hopping. Most likely I'll remove the hops before force carbing.

I'm figuring this way I get max aromatics absorption in the clear beer as well as retention of volatiles inside a closed vessel. I'll certainly use a partially submerged bag or two.

1oz Citra, 1oz Crystal, 1oz Fuggle (pellets)

That sounds perfect. I have had success with both. But they are different IMO.

I'm wondering why you chaps are crashing and then letting the beer warm again. There's no point. It's not like you stand to get more flavor out of the hops that way.

Chill it, leave it cold, dry hop it. Done.

Bob

I'm wondering why you chaps are crashing and then letting the beer warm again. There's no point. It's not like you stand to get more flavor out of the hops that way.

Chill it, leave it cold, dry hop it. Done.

Bob

I'm pretty sure it's gonna age a bit better at room/cellar temp rather than chilled. The chilling part is just to clear the beer so volatile substances are more significantly absorbed during dry hopping :)

So this is my first attempt with gelatin. It actually cleaned up my IPA really well! This is is 14 days old and tastes like it's been aged for a solid month. The first pull off the top was clear as a bell.

I'm drinking the dregs off my primary now and it's phenomenal. This batch is sitting in 1oz of crystal, citra and fuggles now. T-minus ten days until I have some seriously awesome beer. I'm NOT giving any of this away! :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404971114.686899.jpg

I couldn't wait...GAWD!!!! I actually dry hopped this cold in a closed vessel. HYPOTHESIS: Cold liquid retains volatile aromatics. Closed vessel will also help contain volatile aromatics.

CONCLUSION: Yes they do! Dry hopped 5 days and...WOOO! This is bangin :)ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405399591.565830.jpg

I was going to wait 10 days but in glad I didn't. DH schedule was 1oz Crystal, 1oz Fuggles (pellets) and 1oz Citra. This is done; the hop-factor is nearly overwhelming.

Back