Dry hops when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
Does anyone else despair of getting tasty hop-crazy beers out of bottles? I find that my bottled beers have lost significant hop presence by the time they are fully carbonated.

Minor differences in bottling processes can lead to major differences in final product. I've found that the larger the bottle, the more stable the beer. I have not bottled in years, other than transfers from keg for immediate consumption. However, from memory I can offer these possibly useless pieces of wisdom for hop forward beers.

Bottling bucket-bad.

Flush bottle very well with co2, repeatedly.

Use some type of pressure transfer to the bottle.

Don't bottle.

Yep, I'm concluding that I just can't brew crazy hoppy beers and bottle them. I don't really want to commit to the amount of equipment for kegging, but this may push me over the edge.

Try adding ascorbic acid to your bottling bucket to reduce oxidation effect and maintain hope aromas.

I've never done this. How much AA for 5 gallons?
I added a teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid to 5 gallons. I bottle, so it went in my bottling bucket dissolved with my carbonating sugar.

I think it was 5 grams per 5 gallons I read somewhere, but I have also seen people kegging with even less. 1/8 teaspoon think it was. There is a post somewhere relating to that.

I added a teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid to 5 gallons. I bottle, so it went in my bottling bucket dissolved with my carbonating sugar.

I think it was 5 grams per 5 gallons I read somewhere, but I have also seen people kegging with even less. 1/8 teaspoon think it was. There is a post somewhere relating to that.
Did you notice any effects on the carbonation when using the asorbic acid? Did I take longer to carbonate or anything like that?

@Coastalbrew No issues I noted. I usually open a bottle after a week. Test it, and if its well carbonated, more go in the fridge. I hear IPA's should be consumed reasonably fresh anyway. That's how most of my beers meet their maker in fairness. Usually gone inside a month - 6 weeks.

I did an ascorbic acid test in this thread on an IPA I made AA Test on IPA Oxidation

@Coastalbrew No issues I noted. I usually open a bottle after a week. Test it, and if its well carbonated, more go in the fridge. I hear IPA's should be consumed reasonably fresh anyway. That's how most of my beers meet their maker in fairness. Usually gone inside a month - 6 weeks.

I did an ascorbic acid test in this thread on an IPA I made AA Test on IPA Oxidation
Thanks @Nubiwan , I'll have to give this a try on my next hoppy beer. I like bottling, but do notice oxidation in my hoppy beers. If they last that long ;)

Cheers!

Back