Ed Wort help with Big Green Egg Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there is DEFINITELY one of these in my future. Would have bought one already, but decided to add a Pegola and outdoor kitchen on to the side of the house (pics to follow as soon as the benchtops and sink are completed) and spent a few grand on that. Maybe next month.!

jdoiv said:
Cool, thanks.
Does it run on batteries or do you plug it in? I've got to figure out placement on the deck as I only have one outlet and it's not in a convenient place. I may have to run another outlet, but it will be a major pain to do and would rather not.

It comes with a wall wart to plug in but they also sell a 12v adapter. On their website, they have photos of it hooked up to portable car batteries for jumping cars: http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqPhotoCategory.cfm

Cool. Looks like I may need to run an outdoor outlet to that part of the deck. I don't understand contractors/architects sometimes. Only one outlet for an entire deck? True, I doubled the size of the deck, but still. Well good news on that front is my FIL is coming to town and we already have plans to put an outlet into my fermentation closet, so with his help, we may be able to put an outlet out by the deck at the same time.

Glad to see some ceramic cookers here too --

For all you guys looking at automated temp control. I recommend people get their cookers, get used to em for a month or so, then decide if you need it and what exactly your looking for in one. In that timeframe you can try different types of charcoal, chunks of flavor wood, etc...

When I first started I was determined to buy a BBQ guru, then I decided I really liked the web connectivity of the Stoker and 6 months later I still haven't decided I really needed either one.

IMG_2832.JPG

John Beere said:
Welp, the cheapo pizza stone lasted exactly 2 times... it just popped in half while heating the EGG up a few mins ago. It worked in a pinch - will have to order a real BGE pizza stone here shortly...

I use Kiln Shelves like these cordierite ones: http://aardvarkclay.com/catalog_pages/refractories.html#anchorR1 from my ceramic kiln when I smoke... they work just as well as they regularly go to 2400 degrees F. They may have funny chemicals that could give me cancer or something, never bothered to ask, but whatever.

Yup, I did it. At EdWort's recommendation, I pre-ordered an Egg, and went the the Texas EggFest today to pick it up and get some cooking tips from the "pros." Ed was there, cooking up a storm, and providing some good advice for us n00bs. Ed, I can't thank you enough for the invite, hospitality, tips, handful of goodies from your personal stash, and the BEER! I can't wait to fire this thing up!

BTW, the accessory link on page one still works, but the Grid Lifter link is dead.

I was at the Eggfest today in spirit... cooking up a storm here in South GA. All I'll say about the Egg is this - my wife at first was sceptical, now she's down with us buying a second one!

Yup, I did it. At EdWort's recommendation, I pre-ordered an Egg, and went the the Texas EggFest today to pick it up and get some cooking tips from the "pros." Ed was there, cooking up a storm, and providing some good advice for us n00bs. Ed, I can't thank you enough for the invite, hospitality, tips, handful of goodies from your personal stash, and the BEER! I can't wait to fire this thing up!

BTW, the accessory link on page one still works, but the Grid Lifter link is dead.

Here's the place to get the extended grids and such. You want the Woo2 Ring

http://www.eggaccessories.com/

Here's the place for the grid lifter. He makes tap handles too.

http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com/products.htm

I was at the Eggfest today in spirit... cooking up a storm here in South GA. All I'll say about the Egg is this - my wife at first was sceptical, now she's down with us buying a second one!

You need to go to the Eggtoberfest in October. You'll get the best deal of the year there. They hold it at the BGE HQ in Tucker, GA.

There are no online dealers so you have to buy from a physical location. The nearest, and only, Canadian location is 2,323 kilometers away so it's not an option for me. I was trying to find a price tag for the XL unit. I imagine it must be pretty expensive because all the webpages I looked at were full of testimonials and value building and significantly lacking in pricing. That's usually not a good sign for cheap asses like me.

So, if I had enough money for a SS conical fermenter, would it be enough for a BGE?

Large BGE from Amazon.

XL BGE from www.barbeques.com

The Amazon price is pretty steep, and they're charging $75 for stateside shipping. The XL price on the other website is about in line with what I've seen locally, and they advertise free stateside shipping. I have no idea if they'd work with you to ship to Canada.

The XL model is freakin' HUGE! I don't think I'd want to fire that monster up every time I had the urge for some grilled/smoked food. The large BGE is big enough to fit a turkey (or even two, if they're small and carefully placed), and that's enough for me. Of course, Ed can give you more and better specifics, but I shied away from the XL after doing some homework.

I paid far less for mine since I got a "demo" model (used once, at the EggFest). The full/retail price is quite off-putting, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links, Yuri. I find it strange that the main Egg website says no internet vendors when there clearly are. Way out of my price range anyway. A semi truck with a forklift piggybacking it stopped at my house on Friday to drop off my summer's building supplies. I'll have to stick with my conventional BBQ for a little while yet, but it's on the list for when I can drive the kids out of the house.

While it wasn't exactly out of my price range, it was more than I wanted to drop on a new charcoal grill - or I would have had one years ago. But I can tell you without hesitation that I have not had ANY buyers remorse after purchasing it. I can't think of many other things I can say that about... We use it at least twice a week and I am still amazed at how efficient it is and how little charcoal it uses.

Wow, after reading all of the awesome testimonials on this site the SWMBO gave me the go ahead to buy one. I'm gonna go sometime this week to look at them before she changes her mind. Thanks guys.

I ordered a large BGE at my local store today. I got the large egg, nest, eggmate, cover and 2 bags of BGE charcoal for 1036.47 after tax. I should receive it in about a week or so. I'm looking at the woo2 , should I get the large Woo2, extender combo with oval grid & pair crossbars package, or the large Woo2 with pair crossbars package? And what else should I buy for it? I'm so ready to cook on this bad boy!

Get the Woo2 Extender Combo and the large Spyder. It works with a medium pizza stone for indirect cooking. Be sure to get the BGE pizza stone as all others will crack within the first couple of uses. Congrats and welcome to a new obsession!

Thanks edwort, I have the woo2 combo, 2008 spider large, and a wok in my basket. I cannot find the pizza stone on the site, and I'm wondering if I need the drip tray.

Is the lifetime warranty on this thing transferable, or does it stick with the original owner? I know someone selling one for $400 and am wondering if it is worth it, if the warranty doesn't transfer it obviously isn't worth $400 and I could offer way less. Does anyone know?

Thanks edwort, I have the woo2 combo, 2008 spider large, and a wok in my basket. I cannot find the pizza stone on the site, and I'm wondering if I need the drip tray.

Might as well get the drip tray. YOu can line it with foil to make clean up a snap.

I'll get you details on where to order the pizza stone and confirm the size.

OK, I got the drip tray with my order. Maybe I can call the place I bought the egg from and tack a pizza stone on my order?

The three fates conspired and I am now the proud owner of a Large Egg!

My Grandma left me a small sum of money and I had been trying to think of a good way to spend it which would enrich mine and my family's lives. My other Gran's moolah got spent on a nice acoustic guitar. SWMBO suggested the BGE and I waffled a bit on it since it sounds kinda weird to dedicate a BBQ pit to a dead person, but then they went on sale yesterday! lol

I'm sure it'll be around for a long time to come, and I know Granny would have enjoyed food and BBQ parties the BGE will be responsible for. What better way to bring friends and family together?

The three fates conspired and I am now the proud owner of a Large Egg!

My Grandma left me a small sum of money and I had been trying to think of a good way to spend it which would enrich mine and my family's lives. My other Gran's moolah got spent on a nice acoustic guitar. SWMBO suggested the BGE and I waffled a bit on it since it sounds kinda weird to dedicate a BBQ pit to a dead person, but then they went on sale yesterday! lol

I'm sure it'll be around for a long time to come, and I know Granny would have enjoyed food and BBQ parties the BGE will be responsible for. What better way to bring friends and family together?

Congrats! You won't regret it and Granny's proud of you. Let me know if you need any help.

EdWort:

I've been meaning to ask; does the BGE do a good job of really long cooks? I've ran my Weber smoker for over twenty hours without adding charcoal and held temperature. Does the BGE have that charcoal capacity or is it more a grill than a smoker?

Rick

If anything, the BGE is more a smoker than a grill. It absolutely excels at long cooks. With a good fire and proper adjustment, the BGE is more than capable of 24+ hour cooks with little attention after the initial setup.

Cheyco - congrats!!!

My longest smoke so far on the BGE was the weekend before last when I smoke two boston butts for around 28 hours. Since then, I've grilled on it twice with the remaining charcoal and there is still a little left in there... pretty amazing.

OMFG! I made some chicken thighs last night as per this guy's method. Unbelievable! The maiden voyage of my egg and I already look like a superstar - without even really knowing what the hell I'm doing yet!

Someone please tell me this obsession doesn't run as deep as HB...

Hello? Anybody?...

PS, Yuri, drop-in anytime, they let you use the jets on weekends, don't they? Bring Ed too.

OMFG! I made some chicken thighs last night as per this guy's method. Unbelievable! The maiden voyage of my egg and I already look like a superstar - without even really knowing what the hell I'm doing yet!

Someone please tell me this obsession doesn't run as deep as HB...

Sorry, it's just as deep. There's a fanatic cult following. I know the guy you mentioned.

Sorry, it's just as deep. There's a fanatic cult following. I know the guy you mentioned.

I figured as much. :D

When we were going to get my egg, I told SWMBO that Ed says the large one is the best one to start with, to which she replied, 'If you're going to be replacing it with a different one, why not get the other one first?' I said, 'No, the other one will be IN ADDITION to the good starter...' She rolled her eyes and I think she knew then this was going to be trouble. She also knows that when something comes down the pipe from HBT, it's not usually something to be taken lightly.

:tank:

Thirdeye's info looks pretty good, any other good sites I should check out, Ed?

Is there a difference in the 2007 model vs the 2008 model? The owner of the store called me and told me that if I want the price I was quoted I have to buy the 2007 floor model. He says the costs of everything have jumped,and I don't know how much yet he hasn't told me. Should I just get the floor one? I also bought the 2008 spider, will it fit on this version?

I don't know, but that's what Tom at www.eggaccessories.com told me too. Since the Spyder sits on the fire ring, it must have changed. Everything else is probably the same.

The floor model is fine. Is the dealer on the list of authorized resellers?

Is the dealer on the list of authorized resellers?

Thats the weird thing. When I used the dealer locator the first time this place came up. It's no longer on their list. The next closest dealer on their list is about 40 mins away. Maybe when he calls back I'll ask for a discount.

There is a PA Eggfest in Hatfield where you will score a great deal on one. It's September 13th.

The best deals on Big Green Eggs can be had at these fests. Super deals plus you meet some great folks and learn a lot about cooking on them. Here's the dates and places of upcoming Egg Fests!

June 28th - Brentwood, New Hamphire
June 29th - San Francisco Bay area
August 23rd - Denver, CO
September 13th - Hatfield, PA
September 13th - Oswego, IL
September 15th - Issaquah, WA
September 19th - Little Canada, MN
September 27th - Springfield, MO

I'll see what the owner can offer me. I can be impatient sometimes, so I'll probably get one pretty soon. However, either way, I'd still like to go the fest! Looks like a good time.

Yeah, its is hard to stop at one. I have a Traeger and a Large size Grill Dome and am thinking about adding another smaller one for travel. I really missed my cooker on the family outing this weekend when boiled ribs were served.

I figured as much. :D

When we were going to get my egg, I told SWMBO that Ed says the large one is the best one to start with, to which she replied, 'If you're going to be replacing it with a different one, why not get the other one first?' I said, 'No, the other one will be IN ADDITION to the good starter...' She rolled her eyes and I think she knew then this was going to be trouble. She also knows that when something comes down the pipe from HBT, it's not usually something to be taken lightly.

:tank:

Thirdeye's info looks pretty good, any other good sites I should check out, Ed?

I'm telling you guys - we need a BBQ category... Anyways, I followed someone on the forum's example and tried something different with the rib's I'm smokin today and stood them upright. I'll have to post a pic when they are finished.

Ribs On!

DSC00418.jpg

Back