Ed Wort help with Big Green Egg Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a decent rib rack like this one.

630016e.jpg

http://www.cooking.com/products/shp...ef=http://www.nextag.com/rib-rack/search-html

I followed someone on the forum's example . . . and stood them upright.
That's how I usually smoke 'em on my Weber bullet. Allows me to get six racks on there and, unlike I expected, once "unskewered" they lay back flat with no problem. I normally cut each rack into thirds for serving.

Rick

Today was busy with the brewhaus so I did not have time to do any BBQ'ing on the egg. One nice thing with a food saver bag, is you can bag pulled pork in January and reheat it. I did not have time to make my sauce, so a bottle of Blues Hog came in handy. That plus a little of SMWBO's German Potato salad and a nice brew made for a good meal without lighting up the Egg.

PulledPorkSammich.jpg

No pictures, but for us tonight was grilled chicken wings skewered-style as described in Steven Raichlen's How to Grill with homemade blue cheese dip, along with Brats and a couple of pitchers of margaritas. For the margaritas I used the recipe from Cook's Illustrated Magazine (using Patron tequila). First time I used either the skewered wings method or the margarita recipe: both were mighty tasty. The brats are going to be used for red beans and rice tomorrow (though a couple may be sacrificed tonight). Currently deciding if a cigar would go better with a home brew or Gentleman Jack; probably go with the Jack.

Rick

I finally got it!
IMG_4079.JPG

Here it is on my first night, I made some skinless chicken. Like I usually do I marinated mine in franks red hot and garlic powder. Hers in honey mustard and the kids in italian dressing. Let me say it was the best chicken ever :rockin: I'm impressed!

I am so looking forward to making my very own BGE purchase. Having been deployed for almost 300 days, I am ready for some good food. I get $3.50 per day for 'incidental expenses'. I think I know exactly what my 'incidental expenses' are goung to be.... a BGE and my AG equipment :rockin:Should get me pretty close to the $1k I will have to spend.

You guys that have the electric temperature controllers, I have a quick question, clearly I am looking at the stoker since it would be just that cool to telenet into my grill, however I was thinking of rigging something like that up in the meantime. I have an extra Omega PID control laying around, and it seems like the 10 CFM fans would be like a very small PC fan or CPU fan or something. How do they make the baffles on the blowers, just a small electromagnet or something?

None of the sites seem to really have decent photos of the blower assemblies.

Thanks!

So far I have to say I love my egg! I want to make every meal on it. The wok was a good buy, I've used it for stir fry, to make sliced potatoes, and just to heat up some vegetables. The woo2 extender was a great buy for the cooking up higher and having the extra rack.

Ed,
Im going to pick up a BGE today and was wondering if you could give a little advice. I have studied the eggaccessories web site and Im just curious about the differences between the woo2 and the adjustable rig setup. Which one is better? It seems like they do basically the same thing, but just a little different setup. Any insights would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I got mine today as well. No picture yet because I cant find my camera. Plus, I want to build a table for my egg. Until I do that it is sitting on 2 huge bricks. I will most likely move it to the ground because I am not happy with the stability.

Now I need to figure out what to cook for the first flaming of the Egg.....

BBQs Galore has their own line of lump charcoal. I bought a bag, along with some of the BGE stuff to compare it. So far, BBQs Galore is a clear winner. The pieces seem just as large, slightly more dense, and just as hot, but the price is $6 less per 20 lbs.

Also, I bought this torch for weed burning, but I quickly found a second use. Due to the large flame size, it's WAY better at lighting the Egg than any other MAPP torch I own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same torch, Yuri - SWMBO had one kicking around in her garden shed, now it lives in the Egg-zone in my garage. Gotta watch the flying embers when lighting with it though, I had one stick to my eyelid and burn me - and I was wearing glasses.

Yuri, check at HEB if they have any B&B lump. It's awesome stuff too. You can find it usually for 10 bucks for a 20# bag.

Whoo hoo!

We celebrated my birthday tonight and SWMBO got me the large BGE! It was so funny, she hands me a present, I open it, and it's a box with a hardboiled egg thats been colored green inside and nothing else. I was like "whats this?" she said, "I don't know, what is it?". I said "its' a green egg..." then it hit me!

It will arrive from the store on Tuesday. She also got the nest, the electric starter, the grill gripper, the plate setter, and a large bag of lump for it. I'm heading to the butcher tomorrow! I'm planning on building a custom table for it, so I can bring it to a height that will keep me from having to hunch while I'm 'qing. I'll probably take the nest back and get some other things for it instead. I really am looking at the spider that edwort linked to earlier in the thread.

I'm so excited that I called the family an told them that I would be doing the turkey for Thanksgiving this year. Does anyone have any killer recipes that they would like to share?

For indirect cooking, I found this Pizza Stone and holder on clearance at Target today. It hangs perfectly under the main cooking grate and leaves about 3/4" clearance all the way around. You can see it in action the top photo. All in all, I've been pretty amazed at how easy it was to hit 225 degrees and hold it there...

You can also use an un-glazed quarry tile as a pizza stone.

i love the looks and specs of the BGE!!! One of these days I hope it blesses my porch with its presence!! It is just beautiful.

Back