Ferm temp rose after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
Just finished brewing and pitched 2 packs of s04 in 68 degree wort. What I didn't realize was that a couple weeks ago I turned off my chest freezer fermentation chamber using the dial. I went to go check on it a few hours later and the temp was already at 78 with some airlock activity! I immediately put it to 64. Will this affect anything?

It's possible but you won't know until you taste it...as the great Charlie P says, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Yeah those were my thoughts too. Enjoying a couple at the moment but not a good feeling when you have a smooth brew day brewing 10 gallons and something so irrelevant to the process might mess everything up

Active fermentation is an exothermic reaction, so it will generate heat and raise the temperature a bit. Combined with you turning off the chest freezer for a bit, it will create that 10 degree jump.

It shouldn't be too bad. It's not like you let it go a day or two like this.

Back