"gushers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop man

Reaction score
My last batch was a stout and it blew the lid off the fermenter. I cleaned the led didn't think much of it. When it came time to bottle, the gravity was a little higher then I had expected but after having checked several days in a row , it wasn't dropping. I bottled it and have let it be for about a month. Now I've noticed that some of the caps seem slightly poped up and when I open the bottles the head gushes up the neck of the bottle. I'm pretty sure this is a bad thing. Can some one confirm that this is bad and tell me the cause.

Hop man said:
My last batch was a stout and it blew the lid off the fermenter. I cleaned the led didn't think much of it. When it came time to bottle, the gravity was a little higher then I had expected but after having checked several days in a row , it wasn't dropping. I bottled it and have let it be for about a month. Now I've noticed that some of the caps seem slightly poped up and when I open the bottles the head gushes up the neck of the bottle. I'm pretty sure this is a bad thing. Can some one confirm that this is bad and tell me the cause.

How long did you let is ferment after the lid blew off? Stouts can take a while to ferment. How much priming sugar did you use?

I've had gushers, usually caused by not blending in the priming sugar very well. In a poorly mixed batch, some may gush while others are flat.

I had the lid back on within 30 minutes and let it ferment for another week maybe 10 days. I used 5oz. of priming sugar. I poured it into the bottom of the bottling bucket and then siphoned the beer on top. It's work for my prevoius brews. Should I have stirred it in?

Hop man said:
I had the lid back on within 30 minutes and let it ferment for another week maybe 10 days. I used 5oz. of priming sugar. I poured it into the bottom of the bottling bucket and then siphoned the beer on top. It's work for my prevoius brews. Should I have stirred it in?
That technique worked for me when I bottled. No need to stir, the agitation from racking does the job.

There are potentially a lot of things that can cause a gusher. Pull a couple of beers that you bottled about 5-10 bottles apart. Check how those are. You may have just pulled one that had too much sugar in it. I quit bottling because I was tired of gushers and flatties.

It doesn't hurt to GENTLY whirl the beer after you've filled the bottling bucket.

Back