Hop Rocket used as a Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soeze

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased Blichmann hop rocket about week ago to make my next IPA and to protect my Plate chiller from trub. I would like to use my Hop rocket as a filter for other beers that I am not going to infuse hops with. What would I use in replace of the hops? I read somewhere some used Rice Hauls, but that sounds like a disaster. Originally, I was thinking of cuting up a beer filter and placing that in there.

Thanks

I don't know what you would use in place of hops, but will say that the combination of hop blocker and hop rocket has led to very clear wort for me. I use whole hops and let them settle to the bottom of the boiler before using a pump to get the beer to the fermenter. I use 3 oz. of hops in the hop rocket for a 10 gallon batch.

I position the hop rocket so that the "wort in" opening is facing up and the "wort out" opening is facing down.

The order is: a layer of whole hops>hop blocker>hop rocket>plate chiller>pump>fermenter. The pump is at the lowest position on my table so that I can prime it before turning it on.

I'm not sure that 3 oz. of hops in the hop rocket is going to lead to much bitterness, flavor, or aroma in the wort, especially since the wort is moving through quite quickly - but I could be wrong.

Hey there, I don't post often, as I am an avid reader.... But I believe I have the solution for you. People use these scrub pads for filtering on their racking canes all the time. Maybe buy a few and just stick them in the hop rocket. I have one as well and never thought of putting anything else inside it for filtration. But I'm just about sure these would be ideal. Lots of people sell them, but here's the link to the ones offered from MoorBeer:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-scrub-pads-2.html?site_id=7

Hey there, I don't post often, as I am an avid reader.... But I believe I have the solution for you. People use these scrub pads for filtering on their racking canes all the time. Maybe buy a few and just stick them in the hop rocket. I have one as well and never thought of putting anything else inside it for filtration. But I'm just about sure these would be ideal. Lots of people sell them, but here's the link to the ones offered from MoorBeer:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-scrub-pads-2.html?site_id=7

This!

I have used stainless scrub pads in my hop rocket before my plate chiller with good results.

Thanks all. I will try to use the Stainless Scrub Pads and see how that turns for me.

Latest posts

Back