Hot Smelling English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherGrim

Reaction score
Well here goes.

After many many moons of good brews, I have reverted back to my bad beer roots. I was prepping to brew an English IPA about 14 days ago and found out my yeast wouldn't wake up in the starter. I gave it an extra day and kept a close eye on it on the stir plate, but no joy.

I had an oatmeal stout that was ready for kegging in primary so I racked it off and brewed my IPA. When I had it cooled down to about 65F I dumped it onto the yeast cake from the stout. I had used Nottingham on the stout,(which by the way tastes great), and the IPA took off super fast. Visible active fermentation was violent and lasted about 4 days.

After 9 days, racked off the primary and into secondary where I dry hopped with Whitbread Golding for an additional 5 days. Kegged it today, and I have a definite hot alcohol smell to it. It didn't taste hot, but the smell is definitely there. I know it will never completely go away, but I haven't got the heart to pitch it.

Here are the stats. OG was 1.057 Final wound up at 1.007? I have no idea how nottingham got it that low, but there it is. Average ferment temp was 66 to 68F.

Thoughts?

+1 to skunfunk....at an OG of 1.057, you probably 3-4 times as much yeast as you needed. I'm not hugely familiar with over pitching that much but it could certainly cause some flavor issues.

skunk is right on, if this was not temperature controlled and you pitched onto an entire yeast cake there is your answer.

Latest posts

Back