Lots of floaties after dry hopping in corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So I dry hopped a IIPA in my corny at room temp for two weeks. It was about two ounces of pellet hops in a hop bag.

After 2 weeks I pulled the hop bag, chilled & carbed.

I have pulled about 4 pints from the keg and each one has had a good number of floaties from the hops. They settle out after a while in the pint glass. The beer tastes great I just don't want all the turb.

What's the best way to address the issue?

- transfer to another keg. But if it's getting into the glass I think it would just go to the other keg too. I don't have a filtering system.

-Gelatin? Have never used it. I know people have success with it but does it work on hops or just other haze?

- just let it be. It should clear up with a few more pints.

- any other suggestions?

I'd just let it be personally. Few floaties never bothers me and eventually clear up on their own.

I had this issue once and was serving at a party. Most of the "regulars" wouldn't have a problem with it but I didn't want to give homebrew a bad rap for the folks who weren't used to it. Normally, I'd just let it sit but I was moving things around quite a bit the day of the party.

I sanitized a nylon stocking, pull my dip tube out, and zip tied the nylon over the dip tube. Reconnected, purged. Worked like a charm and left it in until the keg kicked.

I've been having this problem more and more, even with the standard hop-bag, cold crash, and siphon with a hop bag. Almost 50/50 I get some chunks in there and I am with you...I don't like it one bit. I won't serve it to people either. I was also at the end of a few of my bags of hops so I know that there were smaller chunks in there. I think transfering it again will help. I bottle, but when I siphoned into my bottling pot I saw there was WAY too much in there for my liking...I siphoned again and a majority stuck to the sides of the pot.

Anyone have experience dryhopping with whole leaf hops and whether there is a similar problem?

When I dryhop in the keg it's always with whole hops in a nylon hop bag. I leave them in the keg 'til it kicks and never have any problem with floaties.

When I dryhop in the fermenter it's with free-swimming pellets that I crash-cool to the bottom for 3-4 days before racking to a keg with a square of sanitized nylon hop bag material on the end of my autosiphon. That keeps the pellet mush out of the keg...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
When I dryhop in the keg it's always with whole hops in a nylon hop bag. I leave them in the keg 'til it kicks and never have any problem with floaties.

When I dryhop in the fermenter it's with free-swimming pellets that I crash-cool to the bottom for 3-4 days before racking to a keg with a square of sanitized nylon hop bag material on the end of my autosiphon. That keeps the pellet mush out of the keg...

Cheers!

When you leave the hops in until the keg kicks, is there any vegetative flavors to the beer after a while? I've seen conflicting things about leaving the dry hops in too long..

Dry hopping at room temperature is different than at kegging temps. The aroma is slower to extract at low temps and can stay much longer in contact with the beer with out off flavors

summerofgeorge said:
I had this issue once and was serving at a party. Most of the "regulars" wouldn't have a problem with it but I didn't want to give homebrew a bad rap for the folks who weren't used to it. Normally, I'd just let it sit but I was moving things around quite a bit the day of the party.

I sanitized a nylon stocking, pull my dip tube out, and zip tied the nylon over the dip tube. Reconnected, purged. Worked like a charm and left it in until the keg kicked.

I'll give this a try. Thanks

I don't mind it so much myself but I want it clear when I serve it to friends.

Why aren't you dry hopping in a secondary and then racking to your keg? That would solve all of your problems and produce a more conditioned ale.

Why aren't you dry hopping in a secondary and then racking to your keg? That would solve all of your problems and produce a more conditioned ale.

I do that with nearly everything I brew (stouts, porters and dopplebocks are pretty much the only brews I usually don't dry hop) but it only goes so far. For real long lasting kick-nose aroma I'll also add some dry hops to the keg...

Cheers!

jasonbolen said:

In essence I am using keg as my secondary.

Back