Mango Berliner Weissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
So I am sorta looking to clone my wife's favorite beer. It's Golden Roads Tart Mango Cart...I know, I know, evil ABInbev, help me make something that will keep my wife from throwing money at them! Full disclosure, I haven't really done anything with souring. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, so I haven't brewed any. I am still working out the details, but I am thinking about doing something like this...

BIAB
50% American White Wheat
50% Pilsner

Mash @ 148 for 60 mins.
Cool to 100F and pitch Goodybelly Mango.

I will probably kettle sour. I'll probably just wrap the kettle in some heavy towels, and let it slowly come down to room temp. My thought is to mash on like Thurs night, then move it to the fermentor on Sunday.

-Think that will be enough time?
-Can I just use some pH strips to test?
-Do I need to mash for a full hour? Shorter? Longer?
-I have no way of purging with CO2, any concerns with that?

Mango Cart lists Bravo hops, but I am not sure if I will add them at all, and if I do, I am not really sure how.

-Add them during a short boil, or dry hop? That brings up another question...

-Should I boil after souring or just pitch my yeast?

For yeast, I was thinking about WLP001. Personally, I prefer that over dry US-05, but I'm not married to it. I'll probably go with a clean American yeast, but again, I am open to suggestions.

For the mango, any suggestions are welcome. I have heard/ read that mango additions can be tricky. I was thinking I would puree some mango, and add it after fermentation is done. I am looking for a pretty strong, mango forward aroma and flavor.

-Can I just add it into my primary?

I have seen a lot of recipes call for adding it to secondary, and then racking on top. Typically I don't transfer to secondary, not sure if I should.

Thanks for any, and all suggestions or help. This is a totally new style for me, but I am actually getting pretty excited to try something completely different. If it doesn't come out tasting like cheese and vomit, I may try and brew this to take to family/ friends for Thanksgiving. Anything darker than Serria Nevada is a little overwhelming for them. I think they might like something like this...

i would still mash for 1 hour. some people boil for 10 mins after that.
**** ph strips go by taste or buy a real ph meter.
if you sour kettle in a corny keg that has no headspace c02 purge is not necessary. i would aim for 110F.
when you boil on sunday hop as normal because the lacto in the goodbelly should have already done its thing.
The best fruit flavors i have had was when i added fruit to primary and then used fruit juice as priming sugar. (there are plenty of mango based fruit drinks out there. just read teh ingredients and choose)
maybe add some good belly again after the boiil.
based off some quick math an entire container of goodbelly would still be shy on suagr to carb up 5 gallons.
oh yeah and there is banana puree in there too, kinda weird, just sayin.

I recently brewed a mango pale. I added 3lbs of frozen chunks to 5.5gal batch. The fruit gave a fermented mango quality which was good but not what I expected. I ended up adding mango extract for flavor. The extract in conjunction with the fruit paired well.

i would still mash for 1 hour. some people boil for 10 mins after that.
**** ph strips go by taste or buy a real ph meter.
if you sour kettle in a corny keg that has no headspace c02 purge is not necessary. i would aim for 110F.
when you boil on sunday hop as normal because the lacto in the goodbelly should have already done its thing.
The best fruit flavors i have had was when i added fruit to primary and then used fruit juice as priming sugar. (there are plenty of mango based fruit drinks out there. just read teh ingredients and choose)
maybe add some good belly again after the boiil.
based off some quick math an entire container of goodbelly would still be shy on suagr to carb up 5 gallons.
oh yeah and there is banana puree in there too, kinda weird, just sayin.

After the mash, do I need a full boil or just bring it up to 170F-180F for 10 minutes?
I hear you about the pH meter, but the strips will probably have to do for the first few batches. Going by taste is fine, other than I would like to put some numbers to what I am tasting.

I recently brewed a mango pale. I added 3lbs of frozen chunks to 5.5gal batch. The fruit gave a fermented mango quality which was good but not what I expected. I ended up adding mango extract for flavor. The extract in conjunction with the fruit paired well.

Interesting. Wondering if I should bother with the fresh mango...

Back