Possible partigyle from RIS, coolship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a partigyle on a RIS we are brewing this weekend. We have plenty of beers on deck so a wild coolship beer might work. If not I will just pitch some california ale and just have a session ale.

Do you think all the dark grains will make a weird tasting wild ale?

Do you think this is worth it? We have two buckets used for souring open so we have the space for souring.

Last year I did a test to capture wild yeast. There are flowers all around the pool in the back and from the capture we created, it smelled great. We left a jar with just wort in it for like 3 days. Smelled it and then dumped it. It smelled like lambic though. I have been itching to do something like this this summer.

I don't have any experience with partigyle, but I think the answer lies in what results you get from creating the wort for the table beer. I would imagine that you would get a lot less dark roasted flavors, which would benefit a wild ale.

Tannin extraction would be another thing to think about. I've heard different things about tannins from grains and Brettanomyces. "American Sour Beers" says that tannin from grain isn't something you should be concerned about because it will settle out over time. However, in the famous Chad Yakobson youtube videos he talks about how he tries to stay away from tannin extraction as much as possible when working with Brettanomyces.

I am going to do it now. I haven't found much info cool ships on here so I will have to look into that. I don't really want to throw boiling wort in a bucket. I may do a clean ferment, low ibus and pitch wild dregs if I am unsure on brew day. Maybe I'l leave out a gallon or so, and pitch that back when primary is done.

Cool it to like....180 maybe a bit less. Drain to the bucket, cover it with cheese cloth, let it go over night, pitch a strong sacch starter. Let that ride 2-3 days, cover, air lock and ferment as usual.

That is the plan so far. I will try and adjust the temp coming out by flow in my cfc. I may just run out of the kettle hot and then run chilled wort to equalize a temp upwards of 180.

There is another plan to reserve 2-3 gallons and do a wild yeast batch, the rest just a session ale.

I may also just try and get a base sour with lacto. After reading Oldsock's book, I want a plain sour to adjust acidity. The wild yeast plan sounds fun, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did it. With a half pound left of muscavado sugar and a boil down, I got a wort of 1.040. Transferred 170 F to buckets with cheese cloth. I put a lid over loosely since it might rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I chickened out! I pitched a washed yeast yesterday. There was activity but not much. I had two mason jars by a grapevine and a herb garden. Those had some interesting signs and smelled good. I pitched those as well.

Overall, this beer smells like something wild is taking over as I just pitched a 2nd generation wlp001. The krausen looks different and is chugging away. I even had a airlock mixture of beer this morning. So I think the wild and the wlp001 are working. A 1.040 wort has never went in to an airlock in the past for me.

As for the smell, it smells really peachy and a tad roasty. I knew the roast would shine since the first running were for a RIS.

With the activity I seen before I pitched yeast, I will be making more starters soon to capture this wild yeast.

Back