South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed my saison on Sunday for my April wedding. Going to split it after primary and put half on blueberries and half on blackberries. Then I'll taste and go from there. I'm hoping to be able to blend these. I know blueberries can be finicky to hold their flavor so I'm hoping the blackberries can prop them up some. Finally getting another keg today (hopefully) from a Craigslist deal.

In a few weeks I'll brew my NEIPA (for the wedding also) so it'll be ready to go come April.

Then, after the honeymoon and all that shiit, I'm going to brew two sours. I've done goses and kettle soured beers, but haven't done a full on "big boy" sour yet. So I'm gonna get two new fermenters, brew a golden and a brown (oud bruin) and throw them in a closet for a year. Excited for these.

I love ipas. I actually brewed my own amber IPA recipe in December with the rest of my homegrown hops from last year. It turned out great for an extract and it was my first recipe design I'm interested in your recipe

I've got that posted on the blog if you want to check it out. I don't remember it off the top of my head. At least the hop schedule. The recipe is currently just 2-row and C80. That's going to change this next time around though. I'm changing one aspect each time to really try to get a feel for the impact of the change I make. That's why I think this will actually take me all year, ha.

I've got that posted on the blog if you want to check it out. I don't remember it off the top of my head. At least the hop schedule. The recipe is currently just 2-row and C80. That's going to change this next time around though. I'm changing one aspect each time to really try to get a feel for the impact of the change I make. That's why I think this will actually take me all year, ha.

Just read the blog. Pretty good stuff man. I'm not very knowledgeable about malts so I dunno if I could help you answer the questions you have. I do like that hop schedule sounds like it's something I'd do.

Brewed my saison on Sunday for my April wedding. Going to split it after primary and put half on blueberries and half on blackberries. Then I'll taste and go from there. I'm hoping to be able to blend these. I know blueberries can be finicky to hold their flavor so I'm hoping the blackberries can prop them up some. Finally getting another keg today (hopefully) from a Craigslist deal.

In a few weeks I'll brew my NEIPA (for the wedding also) so it'll be ready to go come April.

Then, after the honeymoon and all that shiit, I'm going to brew two sours. I've done goses and kettle soured beers, but haven't done a full on "big boy" sour yet. So I'm gonna get two new fermenters, brew a golden and a brown (oud bruin) and throw them in a closet for a year. Excited for these.

Sounds like you got a lot going on man. I had a saison one time and didn't really like it. I don't really know a lot about them. What is it that makes it a saison? The yeast?

Brewed my saison on Sunday for my April wedding

Sounds like you got a lot going on man. I had a saison one time and didn't really like it. I don't really know a lot about them. What is it that makes it a saison? The yeast?

Also is anyone else on untapped? My name is the same on there as on here SHAIV if anyone wants to add me

Definitely the yeast. Saisons are yeast driven beers. Personally, I put saisons into one of two camps: there are the clovey, slightly spicey saisons; and then there are the dry, crisp, maybe a little tart saisons. I prefer the dry crisp saisons.

Ergo, my house saison is dry AF. It's just pilsner, vienna, and wheat. I use 3711 and it's the first yeast I've used that bottomed out at 1.000. The last one was racked onto raspberries and had a beautiful color. It was very drinkable for a 6.9% ABV saison. The one I brewed on Sunday, if the 3711 drops it to 1.000 again, it'll be over 7%! I don't make weak ass beer. Here's a pic of the raspberry saison...

raspberrysaison.JPG

Just read the blog. Pretty good stuff man. I'm not very knowledgeable about malts so I dunno if I could help you answer the questions you have. I do like that hop schedule sounds like it's something I'd do.

Thanks for the kind words. I am definitely not as knowledgeable in ingredients as I'd like to be, which is the other thing I'm hoping to get out of this project. Hopefully I'll have a killer recipe and a better understanding of certain grains and hops.

The hop schedule definitely yields a nice flavor, but I'd like a bit more of both that and aroma. So once I get the malt nailed down I'll start tweaking the schedule and/or hop choices.

Thanks for the kind words. I am definitely not as knowledgeable in ingredients as I'd like to be, which is the other thing I'm hoping to get out of this project. Hopefully I'll have a killer recipe and a better understanding of certain grains and hops.

The hop schedule definitely yields a nice flavor, but I'd like a bit more of both that and aroma. So once I get the malt nailed down I'll start tweaking the schedule and/or hop choices.

Yes I know what you mean. I read some where that someone made a slew of different smash beers to find out what different grains and hops taste like. I loved the smash I made with simcoe which is probably why I dry hopped my apfelwein with simcoe. I'm thinking about dry hopping my one gallon cider I just made with citra. Oh and speaking of the smash me and my buddy have a few videos on you tube his name on you tube is Aaron of all trades. There's a few brew videos if y'all are bored and want to check them out. We haven't made one in a while

I don't want to talk about it... Lol I got to try some ipas I've been wanting to try. I think I went to Sam Adams like 10 times I can't remember lol. The rebel juiced IPA is good! There was a white chocolate mocha blonde stout by legal remedy brewing that was great! I tried a bunch of stuff and honestly, not proud of it, but I don't remember leaving...

I don't want to talk about it... Lol I got to try some ipas I've been wanting to try. I think I went to Sam Adams like 10 times I can't remember lol. The rebel juiced IPA is good! There was a white chocolate mocha blonde stout by legal remedy brewing that was great! I tried a bunch of stuff and honestly, not proud of it, but I don't remember leaving...
That World Court blonde mocha stout is pretty damn good.

So with this warm weather we are having my hop plants are starting to grow. I'm ready to wet hop an IPA

So with this warm weather we are having my hop plants are starting to grow. I'm ready to wet hop an IPA

Mine have been growing for about a month at this point. I already cut back the bull shoot on my cascade after it reached about 6-8" and now am watching a second shoot appear. But yeah, it's crazy that they're growing. A friend of mine has blueberry bushes that he said have already been actively growing, and shouldn't be until sometime next month. I guess it's going to be an early harvest all around this year.

Oh when and where did you get them?

Late January from Great Lakes Hops. I actually only ordered one cascade plant and got a free magnum as well. From what I've read, I'm not expecting much, if anything, from the magnum in this climate. But, it does have a ton of shoots growing up. My cascade only had two currently, which are growing high quickly. The magnum has probably ten shoots, only one of which is more than an inch. But it's early in the season. We'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping to maybe get just enough magnum to bitter a fresh hop ale and then use the cascade for everything else. That's really all I want out of this first year: one really dank harvest ale.

I got two harvests from my cascade and chinook last year about an oz each harvest. I thought that was pretty good for first year plants and I didn't get my rhizomes till early April. My centennial didn't really do much, no cones.yeah I ordered two cascade, 2 centennial, and 2 chinook. I got them on sale for the price of 4 and I got 8 rhizomes. I gave 4 to Healey

Brewvival in Charleston last weekend was, once again, phenomenal. I had a goal of not drinking a single IPA/pale all day and succeeded. Had mostly barrel aged sours, BA stouts, and some funky saisons. Didn't even stand in Westbrook's line because it was absolutely the longest line consistently all day long. I was very impressed with Almanac. Hadn't had their beers before but they had some great mixed fermentations.

Ok guys, I'm looking for input. I'm working on a new project, and I need to know what you think about your current recipe software of choice. Namely, what is it missing?

What's something you wish your recipe software/website of choice did that it currently doesn't do? What's it missing?

Bonus question: what software do you use and why?

I use beersmith mainly because it was the first program I came across when I first started brewing. As far as what I wish it could do, well one would be to tell me not to drink too many homebrews on saturdays since it makes brewing on sunday morning a pain.

But really the only thing I can think of I would like it to do has to do with water chemistry. I know it will tell you what to put in for additions but it would be nice if you could tell it what you have on hand and it could spit out how much of those to use to get closest to target profile. There actually might be a way to do that I have no idea I typically use brewers friend for salt additions but you have to play with amounts yourself, which is still not hard but if it could somehow be automated it would make life and brewing just that much easier.

I use beersmith mainly because it was the first program I came across when I first started brewing. As far as what I wish it could do, well one would be to tell me not to drink too many homebrews on saturdays since it makes brewing on sunday morning a pain.

But really the only thing I can think of I would like it to do has to do with water chemistry. I know it will tell you what to put in for additions but it would be nice if you could tell it what you have on hand and it could spit out how much of those to use to get closest to target profile. There actually might be a way to do that I have no idea I typically use brewers friend for salt additions but you have to play with amounts yourself, which is still not hard but if it could somehow be automated it would make life and brewing just that much easier.
I use the Bru'n Water spreadsheet for my water adjustments. Do you mean something like integrating a spreadsheet like that into a program?

I've been using brewers friend for recipe design and calculators but I just use the website and it's free there might be some better stuff. My buddy bought the beer smith app and he said it's complicated to use

I use the Bru'n Water spreadsheet for my water adjustments. Do you mean something like integrating a spreadsheet like that into a program?

Yeah, I kinda agree with GammaRay that BS (which I use) is strong in design but weak in water chemistry management. I use BS and Bru'n Water, but this means I feel I am wasting time to put my grain bill in both...redundant.

I've used Bru'n water too, I just find brewers friend to be a little better of an interface for me. Beersmith has water adjustment in it but it's not the best.

Hey guys I just kegged the quad I brew in January, it smelled pretty good. It's about 9.5% abv

Hey guys I just kegged the quad I brew in January, it smelled pretty good. It's about 9.5% abv

Nice! When can I come get a pour?

Brewed my third attempt at an NEIPA this weekend. And I was reminded how much I don't enjoy brewing IPAs. All my hoppy beers have extended whirlpools/hop stands. Usually adds at least an hour to my brew day.

Ah yes. I love me some IPA. We'll have to get up and swap haha. The "quad" I have isn't as dark or as high gravity as it's supposed to be it also finished kind of dry at 1.005. So hopefully it's good even though it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to be

I'm in Columbia between 2 notch and decker. Been brewing for around 3 years, brew a lot of different styles depending on what I feel like making. Currently have a munich dunkel and a pale ale on tap with a kolsh fermenting. DIY homebrew on 2 notch was doing monthly homebrew tastings on the last saturday of the month, not sure if they are still going on or not.

They ARE still having them! I am typing this on Sunday the 26th so I missed this weekend's tasting.

I live in Lugoff, about 15 min from DIY Brewhouse. Great guy running it and so helpful. He has expanded the inventory tremendously.

They ARE still having them! I am typing this on Sunday the 26th so I missed this weekend's tasting.

I live in Lugoff, about 15 min from DIY Brewhouse. Great guy running it and so helpful. He has expanded the inventory tremendously.

Yeah I was at the one last month, actually went yesterday to pick up supplies for my brew this morning without realizing it was the monthly tasting. Oh well theres always next month. :mug:

So I tasted my quad and it tasted kind of like a 9.5% bud light quad lol. So I dropped in an oz of simcoe and an oz of Amarillo. Maybe that'll save it

just popping my head in to say Hi. Live in Eastover area, between Cola and Sumter. Been brewing for almost 7 years now. I've been to DIY, different guy in there than last year? But inventory has improved. I need to swing by this week actually. I'll post a pic of my setup later.

just popping my head in to say Hi. Live in Eastover area, between Cola and Sumter. Been brewing for almost 7 years now. I've been to DIY, different guy in there than last year? But inventory has improved. I need to swing by this week actually. I'll post a pic of my setup later.

Yes, JP was the original owner and sold it last summer. Kevin is the new owner and is also the president of the Columbia brewing club. He has done a great job building up the stock and is so helpful with all phases of brewing. He really goes above and beyond!

Welcome toona! Nice setup! I guess you're the only one on here with a pump. I think someone else here was gonna try to get some pumps soon and had some questions or wanted to see it in person or something.

Also it looks like you don't have burners, so I guess ur all electric? How do you like that?

Love it, took me a while to get here but just recently added the 2nd pump and a herms coil. Built the control panel 2 years ago, used Kal's instructions on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ with a few tweeks for what I wanted. You guys doin all-grain? Would love to get a group buy for some 2-row sacks one day.

Yeah I think everyone here is does all grain. I sometimes do extract still because it's quicker and I don't get a lot of time to brew these days in fact I just made some apfelwein because its quicker. I dry hop mine then keg it. It's pretty good and I don't have to spend a lot of time on it

I have an appt at Dorn VA in Columbia next Tuesday and wondered if y'all knew of a place that will fill 5# CO2 tanks for me? Only thing we have in Florence is AmeriGas who charges $26.95 for a 5# CO2 tank swap out. My tanks are new plus this seems darn high to me. Thanks!

Back