Should I de-keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
My beer smells and aftertastes a bit noxious (too much so to drink). It is a belgian dubble with candi sugar, and I think I may not have let it sit long enough- only about a week. ( I know, I know) Somehow, I didn't notice before kegging and carbing it because I was doing a bunch of stuff. Question- should I de keg and warm it back up, or just leave it in the fridge for awhile. It looks like crap when I pour a glass too.

I drained the beer in the hose after a day and It looked clear and hardly noticed the funky taste, so that gave me hope.

So you only let it ferment for 1 week before kegging?
The dubbel I brewed last fall sat for 4 months before I even thought about drinking it.

What can I say, I was thirsty . . .and the gravity looked right.

it is done fermenting if the gravity looks right, but it needs time to smooth out - leave it in the keg and push it to the back of your keezer - don't even think about touching it for 8-12 weeks and that's just to take a taste...

Drink a glass today - write down everything you taste and describe it as best you can on paper.... when you look back 8-12 weeks from today do the same thing, then again aroung week 16. This will help you focus on and appreciate the maturation process...

my .02 anyway.

you are tasting the yeast since you say it looks like crap also. 1 week is not near long enough. cold crash for about 1-2 weeks, transfer to another keg using a transfer hose(hose with 2 black QDs) and it will be drinkable in another week. Or do as hayabusa suggested and wait. Waiting would be the preferred method.

Back