Special B in a Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@RoyalGallon

Reaction score
I want to do a doppelbock that’s dark, malty, full of body and dark fruit flavours.

What do people think about adding Special B to help with this?

I use it in Belgian dubbels and love the fig / raisin flavours it brings but don’t know if it would fit with a German beer.

I want to do a doppelbock that’s dark, malty, full of body and dark fruit flavours.

What do people think about adding Special B to help with this?

I use it in Belgian dubbels and love the fig / raisin flavours it brings but don’t know if it would fit with a German beer.
I personally would use dark Munich in a higher percentage for the style but I like special b a lot in dark grainbills so I bet it would add some complexity. I say go for it

I use cara-aroma in mine, which is similar, and it went very well. Dark fruit flavors are also produced with the interaction of the alcohols during aging, so give it a lot of time before packaging.

I use cara-aroma in mine, which is similar, and it went very well. Dark fruit flavors are also produced with the interaction of the alcohols during aging, so give it a lot of time before packaging.
This - hopefully - will be for a Lager competition in the UK in March. So that should be enough time for the flavours to settle out and develop.

So I realised I never updated. Made this aiming for a Doppelbock but due to an issue with my set up in BeerSmith it came in a relatively low OG.

In the end I have a 1065 - 6.8% Bock. It tastes great - has cleared really well and has the dark fruit complex flavours I was looking for but with a
0495B8EC-603B-4C92-BF8F-C74111835F60.jpeg
56BC9922-D5F7-43FC-BA3F-69A1F8027F41.jpeg
clean and fast finish. Really like this!

So I realised I never updated. Made this aiming for a Doppelbock but due to an issue with my set up in BeerSmith it came in a relatively low OG.

In the end I have a 1065 - 6.8% Bock. It tastes great - has cleared really well and has the dark fruit complex flavours I was looking for but with a View attachment 664610 View attachment 664611 clean and fast finish. Really like this!
Even better news - and really validating the use of Special B in a Bock - this beer won the Strong Lager Section and came 2nd overall in the Lager than life competition in the UK. Looking forward to the feedback sheets.

https://competitions.londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/lagerthanlife/

I might have to steal this recipe, or at the very least use it as a baseline in the future. I may not get around to it until next fall/winter, but I'm looking for a nice dark lager to have on hand! Thanks for the updates

I might have to steal this recipe, or at the very least use it as a baseline in the future. I may not get around to it until next fall/winter, but I'm looking for a nice dark lager to have on hand! Thanks for the updates
If you do make it - one point to follow. The Carafa and Roast barley were only added at the end of the mash when I did a batch sparge. So you get some colour and only delicate flavours - not full on toast characteristics.

If you do make it - one point to follow. The Carafa and Roast barley were only added at the end of the mash when I did a batch sparge. So you get some colour and only delicate flavours - not full on toast characteristics.
I did, in fact, get around to brewing a doppelbock. While I didn't follow your recipe exactly, I used it as a bit base. Mostly, I used a little less carafe II, and subbed chocolate wheat for the roasted barley. Mine probably won't be as dark as yours, but it does have a very nice deep red color that I can appreciate. It was bottled earlier this week, but I really, really enjoyed the sample. I love that dark fruit and malty flavor in these types of lagers. It'll be tough waiting this one out, but I think well worth it. Thanks!

I did, in fact, get around to brewing a doppelbock. While I didn't follow your recipe exactly, I used it as a bit base. Mostly, I used a little less carafe II, and subbed chocolate wheat for the roasted barley. Mine probably won't be as dark as yours, but it does have a very nice deep red color that I can appreciate. It was bottled earlier this week, but I really, really enjoyed the sample. I love that dark fruit and malty flavor in these types of lagers. It'll be tough waiting this one out, but I think well worth it. Thanks!

Nice one.
I’ve a keg of it on at the minute and it is good. Although you’re right it is very dark - almost like a Baltic Porter.
9F55BB64-471D-4EC7-BC1E-2623B96534F5.jpeg

I believe Live Oak down in Austin uses Special B in their doppelbock. You can get raisin flavors out of aging doppelbocks but their beer isn't aged long enough to develop significant raisin flavor.

Back