This Year's "Left Overs Ale"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Every year I do a "Franken Brew". I throw most of my left over specialty grains and left over hops into a batch. This year I went a little over board with the hops, but what the hell. I also experimented with whirlpooling and HopBurtsting for my first time. Here's what this years recipe looked like...

22 lbs. American 2 row
1 lb. Cara Pils
.91 lb special roast
.56 lb Pilsner
.50 lb Torrified Wheat
.38 lb Carafa II
.38 lb 60L
.36 lb Cara Munich
.27 lb Aromatic
.22 lb 4L
.16 lb White Wheat

1.25 ounce 15% Magnum @60 minutes
3.00 ounce 15.8% Summit @15 minutes
3.40 ounce 10.9% Zythos @5 minuts
.25 ounce Falconer's Flight, .60 ounce Columbus,.65 ounce Centennial, and 1 ounce Citra @Flameout.

Chiller turned on and dropped temp of Wort to 150 degrees, then added 2 ounces of 13.7% Simcoe and 2 ounces of 7.9% Cascade. Whirlpooled at 150 degrees for 20 minutes. Threw in another 1/2 oune of whole leaf Simcoe when I turned the chiller back on to drop the wort down to pitching temps. Used WLP001 and a repitch of S-05. All I an say is that it smelled Hella Good. :eek:

Anyone else do something along these lines every year to get rid of the extra "stuff"?

I 'got rid of' some old hops/grain/etc and added them to the second runnings from my RIS... fwiw the monster (as i'm calling the 10g of dark IPA like beer) is delish.

Did a one gallon brew with a pound of extra light DME, a handful of Amarillo and a packet of dry wheat beer yeast. Should have been undrinkable but turned out to be a damn good summer beer... shame that it's late Autumn.

My last brew of the year is usually an IPA with whatever leftovers I have, usually a lot more different hops than grains. Last year's was a little "muddy" with too many hop flavors, but I think that had more to do with my attempt to do it as a continuous hopped boil.

This year I don't have as much left over because I planned better! But my end-of-year brew will be an Imperial Rye IPA with some old hops for bittering and fresh Pacific Jade for late additions.

Gettin' ready to dispense with some of my leftovers on a small (one gallon) batch...2 row, MO, flaked barley and some citra...should be interesting.

Back