Very noob question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Village idiot
Reaction score
I have checked around and since this question is really noob, I have to ask.

First I have to say, I just started my first brew yesterday. Second, what is the rigs I see on here all the time with the three pots? What is the pourpose of them and what is the proper process for them?

And when you are done brewing the beer, what are the common Containers used for storing when waiting on fermentation? Other than bottles and corney kegs?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions

The three vessel systems are for all grain brewing. There is tons of info out there on the process. But basically they are for the exact same process pro brewery's use.
I assume your next question is what vessels are used for fermentation. Typically plastic buckets, plastic carboys or glass carboys are used. Some people will use plastic or stainless steel conicals (once again same thing pros use) but those are rare in comparison.
For packaging the finished product (after fermentation is done, and that is usually several days after the bubbles stop) bottles and kegs(far easier) are by far the most common containers for packaging.

And welcome to the hobby and hbt

The three vessel systems are for all grain brewing.

Just in case you wanted to know what specifically the three vessels are, typically you'd have a Hot Liquor Tun (HLT), a Mash/Lauter Tun (MT), and a Boil Kettle (BK). HLT is used to heat mash and sparge water. MT is what you use to mash in. BK is where you collect the sweet wort then boil and add hops (just like you do in extract brewing).

Thanks. I have only done one batch. The instructions said it would take up to 72 hours before I would see bubbles in the air lock. I saw bubbles 4 hours later. Is that bad?

Thanks. I have only done one batch. The instructions said it would take up to 72 hours before I would see bubbles in the air lock. I saw bubbles 4 hours later. Is that bad?

It could take up to 72 hours but there isn't anything wrong with sooner except that you might be fermenting warmer than you should be and will get some off flavors from that. My beer usually takes 12 to 20 hours to get going but I am chilling the wort to under 70 F. and putting it in a room that is 62 to 65 degrees. This slows the ferment down which avoids the esters that will give you fruity or banana aroma and avoids the higher alcohols that make the beer taste "hot".

I ferment in buckets as I don't care to watch what the brew is doing while the ferment is going on. I feel they are lighter, cheaper and safer than glass carboys.

Most of us brewers started with extract and need only a single kettle to make our beer. Often with some practice brewing those extracts we get the urge to have more control over out beers and find that to get that control you have to quit using extract and start with grain. There are more than one way to do this and the 3 vessel system is one.

A good book to read to learn more about this hobby is, "How to Brew" by John Palmer. You can buy the third edition which has more up to date information or you can read the first edition online at How to Brew - By John Palmer

RM - Exactly what I was thinking. Read How to Brew. It's still the best book of its kind IMO.
+1 on buckets also.
225 - Congrats on your first brew!
When you are ready to dive in, look us up.

Back