Wheat Beer Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleBrew

Reaction score
I was looking into doing a wheat beer, and consulted Jamil's Classic Styles book. He suggests, counter to conventional wisdom, fermenting at 62F, which is below the optimum range of the two yeasts he suggests. Altho the dry yeast Safbrew WB-06 does list the range as 59-75.

Does anyone have experience with wheat beers fermented this low? According to Jamil, he had tried various temps ranges, but then a friend suggested 62, and "the results were spectacular".

I'd like to get some feedback before I try it. Thanks.

I tried fermenting a bavarian hefeweizen with WY3068 at 62f last summer, the result was more phenolic "clove" character and practically zero banana esters. This might suit Jamil's palate but to me it lacked the quintessential balance of clove and banana of a classic hefeweizen. I would not recommend fermenting with a wheat strain any lower than 67 unless you're going for an American-style wheat beer.

I've done wheats with WLP380 and WB06, but only at 67 as I despise the clove flavor and lower temp is supposed to favor the clove phenolic.

Depends on what kind of wheat beer and yeast. For a belgian wit wb-06 is good at 24C, wb-06 has nothing to do in a hefeweizen. For a hefeweizen it all depends on what you want and which (liquid!) yeast you use. But generally lower means less esters. If you go higher you get more esters, which will mask the phenols. The phenols are still there, but masked.

WB-06 will give a quite citrus, slight pepper flavor at 24C if not rehydrated, perfect for a refreshing wit-ish thing. Pitch at 24C and hold steady for a few days is enough for that taste. Don't even think about rehydrating it for a 5 gallon batch, it will not be the same.

Last edited:
I've tried it with WY3068 and WY3638 - both were OK but not as good as hefe's I've fermented warmer. The next one I do, I'm going to pitch at 62 and let it rise to 70, then hold 70.

I meant to include the fact that I also did a ferulic acid rest which further boosted the apparent clove character to an unpleasant level.

WB-06 is not a great hefe yeast

Want more clove, overpitch and ferment cold

Want more Banana, underpitch and ferment at 68-72

Pitch rate is a bigger variable than temp with true Hefes.

Step mashing can have a pretty sizable effect on hefes as well.

Depends on what kind of wheat beer and yeast. For a belgian wit wb-06 is good at 24C, wb-06 has nothing to do in a hefeweizen. For a hefeweizen it all depends on what you want and which (liquid!) yeast you use. But generally lower means less esters. If you go higher you get more esters, which will mask the phenols. The phenols are still there, but masked.

WB-06 will give a quite citrus, slight pepper flavor at 24C if not rehydrated, perfect for a refreshing wit-ish thing. Pitch at 24C and hold steady for a few days is enough for that taste. Don't even think about rehydrating it for a 5 gallon batch, it will not be the same.

If rehydrated, I assume you are pitching more viable yeast, but get what flavor impact? Do you have any experience with Lallemand's Munich Classic dry yeast?

I have used T-58 and fermented hot (80 degrees). It turned out good; was going to start being my go-to summer beer until I discovered kviek yeast.

I like WLP300 Hefeweizen.

Am I the only one that doesn't ferment at a constant temperature? I underpitch, underaerate, and start in the low-mid 60s and then ramp to the upper 60s.
The result is very flavorful with a mix of clove and banana.

I just did a Bavarian hefe extract recipe with imperial g01 stephon that turned out fantastic. It's maybe the best beer I've brewed to date. I fermented for 2 weeks at 68* then slowly ramped the temp up to 74* over the next 2 weeks. For a total of a month in primary before bottling. I tasted the first bottle tonight after 10 days of conditioning and it has the prefect balance of banana and clove flavor profiles. If I closed my eyes I'd swear I was drinking Franziskaner. I can't recommend the imperial yeast enough.

If rehydrated, I assume you are pitching more viable yeast, but get what flavor impact? Do you have any experience with Lallemand's Munich Classic dry yeast?
Just less of the phenols. More «nothing». No never tried it. Always liquid for hefeweizens.

Latest posts

Back