Yeast Starter Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodyrischous

Reaction score
I just made a starter last night with some British Ale Yeast II (wyeast). I stuck it in a dark place and thought it would be fine temperature wise. I checked on it this morning, and the temp was at 80F! I don't know how long it was that high, but I cooled it and it will hopefully be lower for the next addition. I haven't smelled it yet to see if it is skunky, but should I get a new yeast and start over? Or will it be fine if I keep it lower for the next addition of wort?

Thanks.

That temp will be fine with that yeast. It will produce more esters, so you may want to cool it down to let the yeast settle and decant the liquid.

I've had good luck getting a temp drop in the starter with an improvised swamp cooler. I wrap a cotton dish towel around the flask and let the end of it sit in a container of water. The towel stays damp and the evaporation provides cooling to the flask.

Back